PDA

View Full Version : Ok I have a question for you

Jhill
03-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Could someone tell me the reasoning for covering or painting three sides of the aquarium?

A Friend in Discus
John

Darren's Discus
03-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi John,
It depends on your set up on a single show tank generally i would just have a background,but with multiple tanks and breeding tanks i find if uou do not cover the backs and sides the discus will spend there time looking or facing off discus in the other tanks also it cuts down on the shadows thrown into the tank making the fish less skittish especially in bb tanks.

cheers

GrillMaster
03-15-2007, 11:13 PM
I agree with darren. The reason why I agree with darren is I was actually shown the the effects of an open tank (no background or sides). I had a 55g with no back or sides an was shown the shadows it casts on the tank from background light. I covered the back an sides, an no more shadows.

It gives the discus a little more security. Shadows hittin the tank look like preditors. Last thing they need in our tanks are preditors...:)

tc
Mark

FishLover888
03-16-2007, 09:39 AM
In the wild, fish always looking for cover at banks when there is trobule. They are used to have one side open (danger) and one side dark (the bank, secure) for million of years. If you have both front and back open, your fish will trying to look for danger on both sides and trying to find place to hide all the time. That stress them out. That is why having a fish tank as a room divider is a bad idea.

As for the other two ends, it is not necessady but will add more security feeling for them.

Jhill
03-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys!! Gotcha. Makes a whole lot of sense now.
Thanks again

A Friend in Discus
John