PDA

View Full Version : the optimal number?

southyarra
04-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi guys, just wander what is the optimal number of discus(<=5cm) in 80cm tank? i will just get some plain discus like Trug or something in 80cm tank to make a trail before having advanced ones. And what about 100cm tank?

Camden
04-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm not all that familar with metric units and aquriums however its normally 1 discus per 10 gallons. I've done more then that before however they didn't grow as fast and as well as I would've liked.

Deepak
04-09-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm not all that familar with metric units and aquriums however its normally 1 discus per 10 gallons. I've done more then that before however they didn't grow as fast and as well as I would've liked.

UK gallons or US gallons ? Also how do you measure the length of the fish from tip of the mouth to tip of the tail or tip of the mouth to the base of the tail ?

Ed13
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Its all a matter of opinion I've seen big tanks with enough discus to supply a small country and I've seen big tanks with just a few!
The filtration, feeding schedule, and water changes will dictate the number you can keep(remember the more you have in one tank the more that will perish if something BAD HAPPENS)
I personally like 15g(57 ltr) per fish or more!
That being said an 80cm(~30 gal or 30 inches) tank is somewaht small, you'd be a slave with nore than 2-3 and that number is unnaceptable
a 100cm(40") is a better option

However I'm merely speculationg since the lenght of the tank doesn't provide us with enough info. Please state the volume or at least the comlete measurements!

Camden
04-09-2007, 11:52 AM
UK gallons or US gallons ? Also how do you measure the length of the fish from tip of the mouth to tip of the tail or tip of the mouth to the base of the tail ?

US Gallons and I've always measured from tip of mouth to tip of tail. They only got to be about 5 1/3 inch. When I kept 8 in a 55. But from what I've read about my other thread they might still grow some more because I've only had them for a year.

southyarra
04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
However I'm merely speculationg since the lenght of the tank doesn't provide us with enough info. Please state the volume or at least the comlete measurements!

The whole measurements i expected to go is 80X45X35 or 100X45X40, that is roughly 126L or 180L. I will start with turqs or blue diamonds or some brown species that are not very expensive and difficult to keep.

pcsb23
04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
As you are starting with 5cm fish - which is around 2" - you can comfortably keep 6 to 8 in the 126ltr or 8 - 10 fish in the 180l tank, the bigger the tank the better for the long run, but for small fish then this size is fine. However they will quickly outgrow this tank and you will either have to get more or bigger tanks, or get rid of some discus. At this size you will need to feed them as frequenntly as possible up to 6 feedings per day and also do regular daily water changes of at least 50% to get the best possible growth. I would strongly encourage a BB tank too.

hth,

southyarra
04-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Good info, thanks guys, may be i will have 4 in a 80cm tank or 6 in 100 for a long run, starting with no more than 5cm little ones but what may get some trouble to me is having 4 fish together may make them fighting one another, i heard this from many people. Is it always true or just depends on the odd temper some fish have sometimes?

greyhoundfan
04-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I like Ed's description.. Big tanks with enough discus to supply a small country.:D

I tend to overstock. I like the look of a packed tank. I also do WC's every third day and have a BB tank. Let's you tip the numbers a bit.