PDA

View Full Version : News flash re Gorilla Racks!! Att Harriet

korbi_doc
04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
:confused: Well, the truth comes out when the deal is done!! Watch out for the weight #s...unfortunately, I don't remember what the shelf support #s were for these shelves, thought it would be enough! NOT SO!! Filled the 110g for 2 days, when I checked it, the bar of the shelf in the front did NOT SAG, it TORQUED, ever so slightly to an angle with the bottom facing front; no crossbeams!...but this looked like a future disaster, so I'm back to the drawing board....the concurrence of the "engineers" here is for more support underneath & after much debate, I'm going for a wood stand, made inside the shelving which I'll hide later....still like the looks of the metal stands...
Be sure you get a rack with crossbeams, made for the heavyweight tanks; there are some out there that will supposedly take 1350#, that's what I needed... & perhaps will go for later, but the wood stand will be less expensive & less moving of the big tank..lol....
In another thread, someone posted a site that had heavy-duty racks that looked really good, can't find it right now....Dottie ;)

Cosmo
04-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Dottie,

Thank God you caught it before it broke on you!!

Jim

billeagan
04-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I use the system from home depot. I stick to the 4 foot lengths with no issue.

I have my 150 (4 foot version) on it with no issues - I use a 3/4" piece of plywood which fits perfectly in the groves.

LizStreithorst
04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
This wasn't the tank my Discus are to go in, is it?

BTW, Dottie what is your ETA?

And BTW, I have my horsie :)

korbi_doc
04-12-2007, 04:47 PM

I have my 150 (4 foot version) on it with no issues - I use a 3/4" piece of plywood which fits perfectly in the groves.

Bill, this one was from Sam's (2yrs ago long before I moved; best laid plans, lol) it's 6' & I used 1/2" plywood....too bad, could've gotten by with the 4' had I known....hindsight, lol....Dottie

& yes, Jim, actually visualized the tank on the floor, thank goodness for tiles & drain in the middle, but didn't want to lose the tank either....;)

korbi_doc
04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
This wasn't the tank my Discus are to go in, is it?

BTW, Dottie what is your ETA?

And BTW, I have my horsie :)

:D Hooray Liz, you have your horse....that's great....ok ETA, hmmm, long way, we plan to leave here 'bout 8-9, so however long, I think I don't wanna know, lol.....How fast can I go on rt 45???.....& no! it was not the discus tank, lol... (maybe 7 hrs??)

korbi_doc
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
:D Found the thread, don't know how to link; it's by Reid, AKA greyhound fan...in Tanks, equipment etc....post says "extra heavy duty storage racks" ........3500# sure sounds good to me!!! Hindsight again, lol, Dottie ;)

Bainbridge Mike
04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a bias as a hobby wood worker. I don't like those funny steel rack systems. You can make an incredibly strong stand in almost any size you need or want out of 2 x 4's and 3/4 inch plywood!

Mike

GC_PAUL
04-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I have a bias as a hobby wood worker. I don't like those funny steel rack systems. You can make an incredibly strong stand in almost any size you need or want our of 2 x 4's and 3/4 inch plywood!

Mike

Couldn't agree more Mike,All my racks are 2x4 some with ply especially the 100 180 and 240.

greyhoundfan
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Ahh schucks Dottie.. Sorry about the racks and thanks for letting us know.

Here's the link:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/categoryInfo.web?options.parentCategoryKey=123&index=2&catSearchParams.categoryKey=1570&REQ_SUB_CAT=Extra+Heavy+Duty+Rack

this time I post whole link.. instead of shrinking it.. This should make it easier.

5ft long racks have 3500lbs capacity and 6ft racks have 2750lbs capacity per shelf. They have the cross beams on the sides AND each shelf comes with metal deck supports.. So you wouldn't need to build extra support beams like diabolical canine did in his earlier thread.

These racks are exepnsive and I'll probably get the one with out a deck and buy 3/4" plywood as my deck. Saves on price and shipping.

Mike, I agree with you.. 2x4s are the way to go but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to building stuff.

korbi_doc
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM
:D Thanks Reid, I may later get one of those really nice heavy racks... I still do like the looks of the metal racks, & I'm not into building things with wood, or anything else for that matter....that being said....
Mike, I do agree with you that the wood is stronger, but I like the look of metal.....so, the "engineers" (2 old geezers I know, lol) came down today & "redid" on paper the shelving with a wood stand for the "inside" to just support the footprint of the tank.....then one called me &" took the challenge", he is making the stand for me, so it may work out anyway, I'm so glad he realized I needed help, lol..... Dottie ;);)

Bainbridge Mike
04-13-2007, 01:14 AM
OK Dottie:

Good luck with your engineers! I think I have seen others posts here on simply where folks came up with ideas for beefing up the rack systems. Let us know how it turns out. I will try to take some picks of the stands I have made out of wood. I made one for my daughter that doubles as a book case.

MW

Polar_Bear
04-13-2007, 10:07 AM

If you read the specs on these units the 4 footers are MUCH stronger than the 6 footers for some odd reason. I say "odd" becuase it's all out of proportion IMO, the four footers can carry two or three times the weight of the six footers. It's the main reason I too went with wooden racks.

phidelt85
04-18-2007, 11:53 PM
If you read the specs on these units the 4 footers are MUCH stronger than the 6 footers for some odd reason. I say "odd" becuase it's all out of proportion IMO, the four footers can carry two or three times the weight of the six footers. It's the main reason I too went with wooden racks.

I would have to say that the four footers probably can hold more because they have a shorter span across them.