PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 3582000 Twin Auto Feeder

Cosmo
04-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I originally posted about this as a question in another thread. I've since received it and run it through it's paces. The final proof will come after I come home from a business trip, but I doubt it will fail to perform cause, hey.. it's an Eheim :)

The thing is massive, and instead of rotating the food containers it carries the food up two screws then drops it straight down. Unfortunately the screws are like hollow plastic coil springs instead of auger type screws so while it works great with pellets it seems to have problems with flakes. After about 80 test runs, portioning of flakes so far has been sporadic at best.

The food drops straight down at the end of the screws instead of spread out by the rotation movement of the food container. I liked that idea, except it's so big the food is dispenced about 5 inches above the tank, so if you don't have a good size opening below it, some of the flakes tend to float onto the lid of the tank.

Programming it is fairly straightforward. Determing the portioning of the different foods is problematic. There's a cool platic cover over the dispensing end that automatically opens each time the screws turn. The box says it's ventilated, but so far I haven't seen any fan.. could be hidden.

It's expensive, roughly double the cost of the original Eheim auto feeder and it's not twice as flexible. Uses 4 batteries instead of 2 so no savings there. I suspect battery life will be shorter, but that remains to be seen.

My opinion so far is you're better off buying two of the single chamber autofeeders than forking out the money for the new twin autofeeder.

fwiw :)

Jim

alpine
04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Jim, thanks for the Review. I have four of the old ones and I have been very pleased with them.

roberto.

tpl*co
04-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks Cosmo,

After your business trip, if you're still unhappy with it, send it back and get the old one ;)

Tina

Cosmo
04-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Tina,

That's my plan :p

Took a couple pics next to an "old" model to give you some perspective on the size of this thing.

Actually, the pics brought another point to mind. To manually rotate the drum on the original they give you a nice big soft button that pushes straight down right on the top. To manually rotate either of the screws on the new model, you need to reach down to the very bottom and press hard on one of two small buttons, which requires you to scrunch you hand up (if it's in place on top of the tank) AND hold the thing with your other hand so it doesn't move while you're pushing :(

poconogal
04-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Doesn't look like any sort of improvement over the original model and its way too big. You know the old saying: If it ain't broke... don't fix it!

tpl*co
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Man, that thing is HUGE!:noway: Don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. Can you imagine that thing under a canopy? I agree, 2 of the old style is probably better.

Tina

Cosmo
04-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Not sure what they were thinking when they designed this thing. Under a canopy is the only place you could put one so it doesn't dominate the aquarium. Placing it is difficult.