PDA

View Full Version : Help Heckel in the bottom of the aquarium

David Urban
04-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi one of my 6 heckels it is in the botton of the aquarium is hard for him to swim, his breahte is so difficult for him because open a lot the gills
could you help me?

PH 6.8
GH7
KH 3
NO2 0
NO3 near to 80

Thanks for your answer

Apistomaster
04-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi Dave,
It does not sound good if this Heckel has reached this point. It is probabably the result of many incipient infections that may range from flagellates , gill flukes, and internal worm infestations.

Prognosis is not hopeful so you don't have much to lose to attempt some heroic treatments.. This is what I would consider:
1. Place the fish in a bare quarantine tank and raise the temp to 90F.
2. Feed only small amounts of live foods, if it is still able to eat.
3. Treat the tank with 1 tsp rock salt/gal.
4. Treat with metroniadizole, prazipro and food soaked in UltraCure PX.
If the fish is not able to eat, inject small portions of Ultracure PX down it's gullet.(Use a needleless syringe)
This sort of thing sometimes will save a discus but obiviously the treatment is hard on it too.
Most of the time none of this works but it is certain to die if you do nothing.
I usually would euthanize a fish in this condition, although I know that is hard to do to such a valuable fish.
I hope your Heckel makes it.
Larry W.

David Urban
04-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your prompt answer Larry
What is UltraCure PX?
I live in Mexico City And I don'thave any idea about this medicine?The heckel is in quarentine tank with one 500mg of flagyl tablet plus one tablet of prazi 125 mg I will put some salt in to the aquarium
Regards

Apistomaster
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi Dave Ultra Cure PX is a gel combination of metroniadozole(Flagyl),
praziquantil and flubendazole. I think you can get all of the mediactions separately and probably easily at a pharmacia or from a veterinary clinic.
They are all low in toxicity so making your own preparation should be fairly easy. Some of the ingredients, especially the flubenzazole are not very soluble in water but it is still possible to get enough of it to dissolve in a glass of hot water that you can use it and the other med as a bath in which they should remain for as long as it takes. It is a good idea to change out half the water each day and replace it with fresh medicated water. If the discus is eating soak the food in this mixed formulation, too.

I would treat the group while you're at it as it will greatly reduce their parasite load and as I mentioned the drugs are quite safe. The lethal dose is ridiculously high so it gives the aquarist enormous latitude.

The flubendazole will kill snails and many other invertebrates so if for some reason there are snails present in large numbers just take into consideration that their sudden death could result in a severe pollution problem. All this is best done in a bare treatment tank anyway.

I hope you are able to save the Heckel that is not doing well. I know how losing one makes me feel. I have had my share of really wasted fish sold and shipped to me that were too far gone for any attempt to treat them was doomed from the start.
I wish you all the best luck,
Larry W.