PDA

View Full Version : "sugar" sand for substrate

phidelt85
04-25-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm looking at changing the substrate in my planted tank from SMS to #3 grade sandblasting sand. This is also known as "sugar" sand by trade I suppose. It is a .125mm particle size compared to the typicall .5mm for pool filter sand. Has anyone used this successfully or is it too fine? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated>

Jose

phidelt85
04-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Anybody have any sugs.?

willbldrco
04-27-2007, 05:53 AM
In my limited experience, I've never seen sand that fine used. I suppose a couple good questions to pose are, "why do you want to switch to it?" and "What's it got over the commonly used aquarium and pool sand?"

Answers to those questions might spur some advice from the forum.

Will

phidelt85
04-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm switching substrates from my charcoal SMS to a lighter substrate to try and reduce the peppering and darkening of my GBP and BDs. The GBP had no peppering when I got him until he went into my tank. I was looking at this particular sand because I was looking for something white, and this was the only stuff I could find locally that fit that criteria. However, I found some PFS at Ace that is rather light in color that I went ahead and picked up. Thanks for the reply Will.

Jose

willbldrco
04-28-2007, 06:16 AM
You'll have to let us know how it works out! I love the look of sand, but fear the issues it comes with (gas pockets, mostly) so I've always stuck with gravel.

Will

Ed13
04-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Technically gravel <3mm is still sand, or at least it will behave like sand. That's what I like, and anything under 1mm is asking for more work, although I'll be the first to say it looks great.

vera
04-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi Jose
im using in my havily planted aquarium fine sand (abt 0.5mm)on top of substrate with no problems ,now its even easier for me to clean waste bcz it stays on top whitout cloging gravel.important when u place it in the aquarium to have already some water and place it in small portions to avoid air pockets
Regds Vera

DK-discus
04-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey.

In my experience, very fine sand seems to get nasty anaerobic bacteria in it, wich can cause great harm to your fish if released into the water.

I used very fine sand in my discus tank, but after a few weeks nasty gasses developed and i removed it all, but just a little layer just to cover the glass.

/Dk-discus