PDA

View Full Version : Mini Discus

mobilecow
04-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Hi
I picked up some fish from a guy that was shutting down his tank - got 4 discus that used to be in a planted setup for the last 6 months. Problem is they are no more than 2" big - they're the size i picked up my fish from the LFS - after 6 months... it's un-natural to see them swim next to discus who are likely younger than them and twice their size. Plus I lost one - not sure if it was sick or I have a killer filter (I lost a juvie angel to that Fluval when it was on the other tank). My question is - Is there anything I can do to get those discus growing like the rest of my fish, or are they toast in terms of growth?

Tropical Haven
04-27-2007, 09:05 AM
My question is - Is there anything I can do to get those discus growing like the rest of my fish, or are they toast in terms of growth?

You will be able to get them to grow a little more but they won't be no where close to normal size. Once they are stunted their potential went out the window with it. Just feed them multiple times a day and stay up with the water changes is all you can do for them right now. Unfortunately all your other discus will always be bigger than them. Good luck with them and keep us posted on their progress.

AADiscus
04-27-2007, 09:54 AM
You never really know. Do you know how old they are?

Put them in a bb tank, lots of food (especially bh), daily large wc's. You will see in 6 months some growth. Keep us posted.

ps....do you have any pics?

mobilecow
04-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I think my other discus seem to be giving them a tough time... plus these guys actually WANT flakes... I am trying to get them to eat beefheart and / or bloodworm and they won't even try. I feel kinda bad for them - thinking I should either segregate them into another tank (which is a problem because I have an ultimatum at home regarding my MTS) or give them to my uncle to live in his community tank (he's taken a liking to them)