PDA

View Full Version : Crossbeams in place, any bets?

korbi_doc
04-28-2007, 12:43 PM
:D Ok, this is the continuing saga of the 110g & the 90g tanks on the Gorilla racks.....The 110g is solved with a table placed inside the rack...the 90g now sits on a new set of crossbeams & 2 bars placed front to back to prevent the torquing that happened with the 110g....see prev. thread in DIY "working oncrossbeams for Gorilla Racks" for the explanation... sorry, don't know how to link,....here are some pics to explain the process....

First the 90g...had to get a hydraulic table to take it off the stand & replace it after supports were placed; these tanks were very heavy & my friend Jean & I had to do it alone, lol, where are the guys when you need'm?? Hmmmmmm, anyway, it shows the 2 metal bars from front to back to prevent torquing, made by my "engineer friend"...then the wood crossbeams...the the tank in place....Will it hold?? Anyone taking bets?? Hmmmmmm, hope they come out right......Dottie ;)

korbi_doc
04-28-2007, 12:56 PM
:D Then came the 110g...didn't want to take any chances on this one...my friendly "engineer" made this table to go under the tank when it's in place...& I still get the "metal rack look", even tho I cheated....the rack is nice enough looking, it coulda been placed alone, lol.....& yes, with the hydraulic table, Jean & I could accomplish this move ourselves...

You can bet the next rack will have the correct parameters, esp the shelf #s, for the tanks that I use, lol, it's been an experience....hopefully, a finished one.....Dottie ;)

Polar_Bear
04-28-2007, 01:41 PM
It should be fine, in fact it looks to be over-kill IMO.

GC_PAUL
04-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Dottie
Sure looks like you solved that problem.Don't see any problems.:)

pcsb23
04-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Dottie, your engineer friend seems to know what he's (?) doing!! That table would support a house!!

Ed13
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
It should be fine, in fact it looks to be over-kill IMO.
Thats because it is, lol But, its way better to have that peace of mind. And it looks good too.

Harriett
04-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, Dottie, I'm continuing to watch your evolving story here! My gorrilla rack is still in the box and it's staying there until I see how yours comes out! Looks like you are solving the issues, best of luck to you and thanks for sharing and posting pics!
Harriett

korbi_doc
05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
:D Thanks guys for your confidence, I sure hope it's warranted...so far it looks great. ..there are no worries with the 110....& the 90g has had water in it for 5 days now & everything is fine...time to set it up the rest of the way & put the fish in, maybe this weekend....& yes, I think overkill is best...lol....

Harriet, do you know what the figures are for your shelf loads with the G-rack you have? Would be interesting to hear that; you will now know what to expect maybe, before you set it up..lol.....I'll keep you all apprised.....Dottie ;)

greyhoundfan
05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Looking good Dottie!! I haven't bought my super duty heavy racks yet.. Holding out till last minute so I can find something cheaper.. but I can't.. The racks I posted the link here can hold 3800lbs. per shelf, this is for 60" wide racks. Now that's piece of mind...

Kindredspirit
05-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Looks great Dottie ~ peace of mind now? I had to put my 20gal on that kitchen shelf....as my stand was stolen:( But I may go and see what one cost tomorrow ~

Can't wait to see pics with the wet pets in!

Harriett
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
:D Thanks guys for your confidence, I sure hope it's warranted...so far it looks great. ..there are no worries with the 110....& the 90g has had water in it for 5 days now & everything is fine...time to set it up the rest of the way & put the fish in, maybe this weekend....& yes, I think overkill is best...lol....

Harriet, do you know what the figures are for your shelf loads with the G-rack you have? Would be interesting to hear that; you will now know what to expect maybe, before you set it up..lol.....I'll keep you all apprised.....Dottie ;)

I don't remember, but I'll find out and let you know! We originally bought the G rack for another project but decided on another solution, so I commandeered it!
I'll let you know the stats.
Good luck getting your guys into the tank! Sounds like this has all worked out finally---lots of work for you!

diablocanine
05-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Don't forget to shim the bottom of the cross braces, think I forgot to tell you I did that......DC

korbi_doc
05-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Don't forget to shim the bottom of the cross braces, think I forgot to tell you I did that......DC

:D Lol, DC, yes you did forget to tell me that one, & no, I didn't do it...
& I looked under them & have no idea where one would do that....anyway, they seem to be holding well, & now the fish are in, lol..so guess it's too late...they seem very happy & I've watched & there is no change yet in the tanks/shelving....so hopefully all is well...
I'll get pics soon.....& the angels are in the 110 & have more room, so they should be very happy.....lol....Dottie ;)