PDA

View Full Version : Review on Test kits

novice breeder
05-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Has anyone ever used this brand of Test kit? It is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master and Mini Test Kits. What are your reviews and opinions? What are the best or preferred type of Test Kit to use? Any suggestion or assistance?

Ardan
05-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Hi,
I use Aquarium Pharmaceutical test kits, I have also used others to compare at the same time the results from the Aquarium Pharmaceutical kits, and they have been accurate for me. I like them. They are fast results, not a lot of time to wait for the reagents to react...

Sometimes the colors are difficult for me to get a precise reading, but all I mainly want to know is if there is ammonia or nitrite or not.

So yes, I use them and like them, but if I get positive results I use another kit to verify.

hth
Ardan

alxjss
05-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Hi,
I use Aquarium Pharmaceutical test kits, I have also used others to compare at the same time the results from the Aquarium Pharmaceutical kits, and they have been accurate for me. I like them. They are fast results, not a lot of time to wait for the reagents to react...

Sometimes the colors are difficult for me to get a precise reading, but all I mainly want to know is if there is ammonia or nitrite or not.

So yes, I use them and like them, but if I get positive results I use another kit to verify.

hth
Ardan

okay, don't get it. Why use multiple test kits? They cost a bit of $ and I, for one, don't want to give my $ to the company's that have more then me. don't see an expiration date on any of the kits, and i emailed AP to find out, but haven't heard yet.

Okay, I just received a phone call from aquarium phar. about test kits. I asked the how long they last. they said the lot # on the bottle is the actual mfg date, so start thinking of replacing about 3 yrs from that date. I asked him if the kits were no good after the three yrs and he said that its not necessarily true, so sure, replace around 3 yrs after the last # on the bottle

Ardan
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Why use multiple test kits?

I only do this to verify the results, especially if I get a positive for ammonia or nitrite, then I want to double check that the biofilter is not working before I get all worried and do something drastic:) such as start changing a lot of water multiple times for no reason.(trying to get the ammonia/nitrite to 0 , when in fact it is a faulty test kit)

hth
Ardan

Graham
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Novice all the standard test kits out there are about the same...they are accurate enough for what we do. I use these kits and then throw all of them out about every 15 months or so. For the sake of $50 or $60 why take the chance that they've become outdated or in-accurate from being in sun/UV and/or heat or cold.

These kits are not expensive compared to the value of the fish we keep.............everyone should own all the different ones and replace them reguarly

If you want really accuate measurments then get La Motte or Hache test kits or Hanna meters

novice breeder
05-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Thank you for the reply!! Any more suggestions/comments? They have the test kit mentioned on sale and i would really like to know if it is good and easy to use since this would be the first test kit i am going to use.

alxjss
05-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Has anyone ever used this brand of Test kit? It is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master and Mini Test Kits. What are your reviews and opinions? What are the best or preferred type of Test Kit to use? Any suggestion or assistance?

Hi Novice, just went and bought the exact same one, since mine lot # was dated 04. It is exactly what i had before, different style is all. Good test kit!

alxjss
05-13-2007, 10:26 AM
okay, don't get it. Why use multiple test kits? They cost a bit of $ and I, for one, don't want to give my $ to the company's that have more then me. don't see an expiration date on any of the kits, and i emailed AP to find out, but haven't heard yet.

Okay, I just received a phone call from aquarium phar. about test kits. I asked the how long they last. they said the lot # on the bottle is the actual mfg date, so start thinking of replacing about 3 yrs from that date. I asked him if the kits were no good after the three yrs and he said that its not necessarily true, so sure, replace around 3 yrs after the last # on the bottle

Well, seems like what the guy @ AP told me was accurate. My test kit is still good. I went and bought a new one. Tested all the tanks w/old kit & new kit. The old one is right on w/the new one. So, do u think i should buy another one to see if these r good?:huh: