PDA

View Full Version : new to it all...

vgw2007
05-14-2007, 01:07 AM
I started my first aquarium (25 gallon) December 2005, and I have learned plenty, but still have a lot to learn. I now have a 45 gallon heavily planted tank (see attachment) with 3 Discus, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, 5 Oto’s, 7 Rummy Nose Tetras, 8 Bloodfin Tetras, 3 White Clouds, and a handful of Amano shrimp. I dose with Seachem and Greg Watson ferts, and run pressurized CO2 with Ph controller (@ 6.5)

http://members.shaw.ca/vgw2006/may5_07.jpg

Just recently (late February) I purchased my first two discus, 2” Pigeon Bloods, of which one died just one week after purchase, and on the day I added my larger (2.5-3”) Blue Diamond. A couple of weeks later I purchased another small Pigeon Blood 2”, and now I have three Discus. I have been getting most of my knowledge from the internet, forum.simlydiscus.com (on-line library) and from talking to my LFS. I am enjoying my Discus, even though they might not be perfect in shape nor colour. I like them as they are, they are doing well, and I enjoy seeing the enormous growth on especially one of the Pigeon Bloods. This Pigeon Blood is almost as big as my Blue Diamond, and it’s colour has been evolving as well. The discus went from almost solid orange to a combination of orange with white spots (see attachment). I do not mind the peppering, but I understand this does not add value to collectors nor breeders. My Blue Diamond (see attachment) has not obviously grown, but I do believe that this fish filled up more, since I got it. The smallest of the three and last addition (see attachment), maintains some what shy and is easily scared… It eats well, but I have not had this fish long and do not see real growth yet.

Yesterday I found a discus breeder nearby (two hour trip) and was overwhelmed with excitement to see so many discus (+/- 250) and various strains in one place. Thus far I had only seen between two and six discus at the time in one place, if they were available... I had a good chat with the breeder, and look forward to dealing with this chap for my future discus needs. Great find!

Anywho, I have been reading this forum for a while now, and I thought it was a good time to share my enthusiasm for discus. Let me know what you think of my setup.

http://members.shaw.ca/vgw2006/diamond_may_07.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/vgw2006/da_three_mid_may_07.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/vgw2006/pigeons_mid_may_07.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/vgw2006/discus_apr07.JPG

Cheers

willbldrco
05-17-2007, 03:24 AM
I'm going to go ahead and hop on this newbie boat... ;)

You've got some great pictures there! I'm in a similar position: "Discus research mode," but you're further along than I am (I have 0 discus).

5 months ago I decided to take my planted tank to the next level. I've been able to keep my tank's parameters at discus-friendly levels for some time now and still keep the plants in great shape, but I only have a 55 gallon and I'd really like to have enough discus so that one doesn't become "the runt." So that means more than 3. I don't like an even number of fish (looks weird to me aesthetically) so 4 is out too. From what I've read on this forum, 5 discus in a 55 gallon tank is pushing it. So here I remain in discus limbo... ;)

BTW, I've read several times on this and other resources that the clown loaches often get too big and rowdy for a planted discus tank. I have no experience with them, but just FYI.

A couple of questions (open to anyone, really):

What temp do you keep your tank at? Mine is at 83. Taking it higher seems to make the plants unhappy.
Do you use a UV sterilizer? I'm torn on this: good for discus, but will it hurt too much of the bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle so critical to the plants?
Should I dump fast growing plants. I really love a couple of these, but I spend a 1/2 hour once or twice a week with my arm up to my elbow in the tank "trimming the hedge" and I fear this regular stress may affect delicate discus.
Are there protein skimmers which won't agitate all the CO2 out of the water? I'd really like to find a solution to keeping the surface of my water film-free (besides water changes every other day - which is what I'm doing now).

Anyway, my impression of your tank is VERY NICE! Looks great - it will be interesting to see how it evolves.

BTW, I envy your trip to the discus breeder! That would be cool - Anyone know if there is one in the Denver, CO area? My LFS regularly orders from Stendker Discus, which boasts high quality fish, so I could pre-order from there. Anyone have a good/bad experience with Stendker?

Will

AmberC
05-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Welcome VGW and Will!

Great pics VGW!! You can reduce the amount of peppering your PB's will get by removing your black background and putting up a lighter one. Although it looks AWESOME!

Amber

dragonlover
05-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Nice tank...it sure looks bigger than a 45! Great colors in the pics, too.

Tropical Haven
05-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Your tank is nicely decorated.

AmberC
05-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice tank...it sure looks bigger than a 45! Great colors in the pics, too.

I was thinking that too! It looks the same as my 125!

Amber

vgw2007
05-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Thank you all for your input and compliments.

My tank is 48X18X12 which is 45 US gallons if I am correct... It is somewhat narrow, and perhaps not ideal in height for discus. Initially I liked the idea of Rummy Nose & Blood Fin Tetras cruise back 'n forth in a long-shaped tank. Tank came first, and I just started to discover the discus world.

For my photos, I generally do the following. Beside the 130 Watts of the Coralife light, all room lights are turned off, there simply is no other ambient light other than the light source above the tank, when I take my shots. I have a simple Canon S1 IS point & shoot ;), which I configure to Fluorescent H, and I adjust my exposure compensation to -1 as I generally like my pictures darker which also helps with colour intensity or saturation. Also, it is key to turn the flash off. Flash only reflects in your tank glass, and fish likely prefer without... I take many shots and only a handful are almost sharp. I than take my shots into photoshop, were I crop, "air-brush" out my aquaclear equipment, hoses, and my bright yellow Milwaulkee PH sensor. I guess you could take the equipment out, but I do not mind doing it this way. As a general rule I like my blacks to be black, adjust brightness/contrast accordingly, and finally I add a small black border to my images.

My tank water is around 83F (or 28-29C). As for my discus numbers, I totally agree with Will, and I too do not like even numbers. I would prefer five, but I think that would be pushing it for my tank. As for the Clown Loaches, they are beautiful, but they are also hard on (some) plants. So far they seem to co-exist with the discus, but I will likely give them to one of my friends who would like them in their setup. I am amazed how comfortable my larger discus are when it comes to plant maintenance. Once my hand is in the tank they will actually swim up, likely to see if food is to follow ;) I simply take it slow, when I do my trimming. I have no UV sterilizer, and would like to hear more about this... As for my tank background, I have read it before that a blue background would be prefered for discus, but I do love the black...

I do not mind the peppering on my PB's too much, and I am generally happy with the way my first discus look, even though they are far from price winning specimen... which are currently being auctioned off by Simply Discus. Stendker discus from fellow Dutchman, Hans... I could not believe the photos of his tanks, with all those beautiful discus strains. What a sight WOW... I am lucky that I found a small breeder not far from home... Seeing around 250 discus was a treat for me! I now know where to get better variety & quality discus.

Anywho, I am rambling, but I am Simply enjoying the hobby of Discus and maintaining my lil aquarium ;)

Thanks again