PDA

View Full Version : water pump recommendations

brewmaster15
05-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi all,
I have a small fish room project I would like recommendations on... I recently set up a vegetable garden area adjacent to my fish room..

I need a water pump that I can use to move water from my aquariums to the outside... The pump needs to be able to lift the water 12-15 feet up and pump it a distance of 100 feet max.

Prefer a garden hose fitting.....

Also don't want a a pump that goes into the tank...looking more for a pump that is inline.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
al

dishpanhands
05-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Is this pump going to stay on the one tank? Why I ask is that most inline pumps don't self prime, and it would be easy to contaminate one tank with the water from another or you will have to prime it each tank..

AmberC
05-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Al,
I got this one because my water pressure in my house sucks and it takes 3 hrs to clean my 125 gallon. This thing is awesome. There are more powerful ones as well but this one will drain my 125 in under 15 min. It can be in line or in tank. I use it in tank, didn't really like doing in line... but I think thats just my personal preference.

http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1/page_14_15/mag_drive_9.5___950_gph.html

and here is my thread on it:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55408

Amber

Tropical Haven
05-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Al,
I would go with the Iwaki mag drive pumps, thats what I use for my fish tanks and as long as you don't dry run them, they will last forever. Let me know if you are interested in one, I am a master distributor for them and can get you a pretty good deal on one.

dishpanhands
05-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Here you go I think I found the part you will need to do this with(I hope. been wanting the same thing for awhile) Put this on the end of you cleaning pipe then on a hose to hook to the pump. Make sure you get a pump with high head pressure and a bunch of GPH..

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611760137

svdfinally
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
You do not want a recirculation pump.

VisionQuest28
05-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Swinefka is right you cant go wrong with Iwaki's. Another good option that is very similar (actually made by one of the old engineers for Iwaki) is Pan World pumps. You can usually find these slightly cheaper than Iwaki but of the same quality. But if Swine can get you a good discount i would just go with one of those. Im sure you know all of this but...you just need to figure out what your total head pressure is going to be and how much flow you want through your vegi garden and then pick the right pump.

Bainbridge Mike
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey Al:

I have a 55 gallon barrel out in the yard that I keep full of fish water. I also clean my sponges in the barrel--so the water has lots of nitrates and fish poop. My wife uses it to water her garden and other plants. My wife reports that the plants love it!

Mike

svdfinally
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a Iwaki mag pump on my reef tank and love it.

billeagan
05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Al,

I have a quiet one high pressure pump I bought when I had ideas of setting up a fully automated water changing system.

Its been sitting on the shelf never been used - I don't have the box though. I'll get the model number for you...

Bill

Ed13
05-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I need a water pump that I can use to move water from my aquariums to the outside... The pump needs to be able to lift the water 12-15 feet up and pump it a distance of 100 feet max.

Also don't want a a pump that goes into the tank...looking more for a pump that is inline.

Do you mean that it has to push the water output up 15 feet, or actually lift the input 15 feet?
If its pushing, take Scott's offer, actually take it either way!:D Iwaki pumps have a solid reputation, plenty of power and reliability, the only drawback its their price, but since Scott offered to hook you up its worth to check them out!

respite
05-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I ran an iwaki md-55rlt pump for a few months on my reef tank. A solid pump, but too noisy for me to have in my living room. I swapped it out for a pan-world (blueline) pump, and have been nothing but happy with it.

dishpanhands
05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Just to explain why you are going to need the part I showed you. When you have the pump running no matter what one you choose and you are pumping up hill 15" and you turn the pump off all the water in the hose going up that 15" will come back down the hose and back into the tank. with that part I think that will stop the water from being able to go backward into the tank. I have never used that part for this, but I have use that kind of a part in a larger version for some what of the same thing..

What I want is a remote control so I will be able to shut the pump off and on while at the tank and the pump in the other room. Kind of like one of those clapper things, but with a button..

Polar_Bear
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
What I would do is get a Rubbermaid tub, drain the water into it, and use an actual sump pump to empty the tub. A sump pump is cheap, powerful, and will shut itself off automatically. They even have them that have hose bib connections right on the pump output. Best of all worlds and is portable easily.

Tropical Haven
05-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I ran an iwaki md-55rlt pump for a few months on my reef tank. A solid pump, but too noisy for me to have in my living room. I swapped it out for a pan-world (blueline) pump, and have been nothing but happy with it.

Believe it or not if you keep Iwaki pumps wide open when they pump they will be a little bit on the noisy side because it will pull a little air in with the water because of its design. If you place a shut off valve on the discharge line just above the pump you can slowly close it down a little until the pump is vitually noiseless. Once that happens, then the pump is operating at it's optimal performance.

dishpanhands
05-17-2007, 12:04 PM
What I would do is get a Rubbermaid tub, drain the water into it, and use an actual sump pump to empty the tub. A sump pump is cheap, powerful, and will shut itself off automatically. They even have them that have hose bib connections right on the pump output. Best of all worlds and is portable easily.

That would work but it will still only drain at the speed gravity will move it. the other way will pump the water out of the tank and it will be faster.

respite
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Believe it or not if you keep Iwaki pumps wide open when they pump they will be a little bit on the noisy side because it will pull a little air in with the water because of its design. If you place a shut off valve on the discharge line just above the pump you can slowly close it down a little until the pump is vitually noiseless. Once that happens, then the pump is operating at it's optimal performance.

I had mine throttled back by about 10-15% with a standard ball valve. I understand these pumps are designed to function with a bit of back pressure. There was no cavitation, no bubbles. It was just a powerful, and noisy pump.

novice breeder
05-19-2007, 07:38 PM
HI GUYS!!!
Have anyone used these Danner Supreme Mag Drive Aquatic Pumps. These are sold at petsmart. Can they be use for piping water and removing water from tanks ?? I want to semi automate my water changes. Have one pump used for sucking out water from tanks ( a pipe in the tank connected to pump on floor)and another to pour back water in. I would like to know if they can be used without being submersed. Are they self priming i.e run on dry ?? Any suggestions???

rppr21
05-20-2007, 12:49 AM
i got a pump ,but always that the line get some air it stops!...it is any pump that work with out you to suck the line?

brewmaster15
05-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for ideas. I use a sump pump to move the aged water from two barrels right now for my fry tanks.....but I was trying to avoid adding another one.......

I may go with the barrel idea to hold the water still and then pump out. to the garden...this does eliminate some issues like back flow... but I could use a ball valve as well.

Hmmm...lots of pump choices... scott thanks on the offer,,, I may be in touch:) Bill, any further info would be great.

got my tomatoes and eggplants in, peppers are growing as well... .:):):):)

thanks all,
al

novice breeder
05-23-2007, 11:09 PM
HI GUYS!!!
Have anyone used these Danner Supreme Mag Drive Aquatic Pumps. These are sold at petsmart. Can they be use for piping water and removing water from tanks ?? I want to semi automate my water changes. Have one pump used for sucking out water from tanks ( a pipe in the tank connected to pump on floor)and another to pour back water in. I would like to know if they can be used without being submersed. Are they self priming i.e run on dry ?? Any suggestions???

HEY GUYS ANY ASSISTANCE HERE!!!!!:confused::confused:

Polar_Bear
05-24-2007, 12:14 AM
That would work but it will still only drain at the speed gravity will move it. the other way will pump the water out of the tank and it will be faster.

<shrug> Using nothing more than 'gravity' i can syphon a 75 gallon tank completely in under 5 minutes and have witnesses that will verify this. Actually, depending on how you syphon you may actually need to reduce the flow to avoid over-filling the sump (something I am very good at, just ask my wife). I was using a sump pump with a hose bib, but found that it was far too slow. Now I have one with an 1 1/4" hose instead, it can just barely keep up.

Ed13
05-24-2007, 12:26 AM
<shrug> Using nothing more than 'gravity' i can syphon a 75 gallon tank completely in under 5 minutes and have witnesses that will verify this. Actually, depending on how you syphon you may actually need to reduce the flow to avoid over-filling the sump (something I am very good at, just ask my wife). I was using a sump pump with a hose bib, but found that it was far too slow. Now I have one with an 1 1/4" hose instead, it can just barely keep up.
I believe you Larry, I used to have of lenghts of flexible Vynil tubing for draining too and can attest to the quickness of a 1 1/4" diameter when draining.
Actually since I am somewhat paranoid, I make my own hoses from vynil tubing from HD or the LFS and barbs and conectors from hardware stores and HD, at a cheaper cost too!

dandestroy
05-24-2007, 12:46 AM
HI GUYS!!!

I have 2 mag drive 950.

They work great they can be use inline or offline. They are not self priming... your pipe need to have water in it to make it go.

they are a bit noisy offline and I'm not quite sure if I would use them for a sump system, but they are great thing for doing water change.

still looking for the best sump pump... and this is why I'm following this tread.

dishpanhands
05-24-2007, 11:22 AM
HEY GUYS ANY ASSISTANCE HERE!!!!!:confused::confused:

Don't think you are being ignored..Just never seen a in line pump that self primed..I was wanting to see if someone else knows of one..

jpfelix
06-04-2007, 11:40 PM
you could also use a transfer pump available at you lhs (or box if you prefer). they take up less space than sump pumps and have gh fittings.

Denny
06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
If this is long term, look at one of these.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=399050#post399050

Polar_Bear
06-25-2007, 12:48 AM
I believe you Larry, I used to have of lenghts of flexible Vynil tubing for draining too and can attest to the quickness of a 1 1/4" diameter when draining.
Actually since I am somewhat paranoid, I make my own hoses from vynil tubing from HD or the LFS and barbs and conectors from hardware stores and HD, at a cheaper cost too!

Ed,
Yep, I have the 1 1/4" vinyl too and sometimes have the same problem, going to 1" solved this but is MUCH slower. I went back to 1 1/4" but now drain into a sump (nothing more than a plastic tub) with a sump pump that drains into a laundry type sink, it works well.