PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy stuff growing on driftwood

poconogal
05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I've got some driftwood soaking in an empty tank to get it waterlogged. Its in there almost 2 weeks and I noticed tonight that it has some fuzzy, grayish looking stuff growing on it. It looks fuzzy sort of like fungus but not like a cotton ball, and it also resembles hair and is about 1/2 inch long. What could it be, and more importantly do I just wipe it off? Before the driftwood goes in the tank I plan on putting it in the tub and pouring boiling water over all of it. Should I do anything else?

dandestroy
05-24-2007, 11:05 PM
poring boiling water wont do much IMO,

sterilization by boiling require long period such as 15 min which is not very practicable.

Since immersion in bleach for driftwood is hard to be certain that you got rid of it, I suggest you go with a strong PP solution something like 10mg/L for 24hr or until is goes brown. Trace of PP wont be an issue as much as bleach once you rinse it carefully. (which the stuff that grow on it before doing PP).

poconogal
05-25-2007, 06:02 AM
This driftwood was already cleaned and heat treated so I didn't think I needed to totally resterilize. If I put chlorine in the water (I don't have chlorine in my water, its my own well) and let it soak for a bit, I can then add dechlorinator to the water and then test the water for chlorine. Wouldn't that work?

But I still don't know what the heck is growing on it! :D

phidelt85
05-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Hey, Connie! I wouldn't use bleach since the wood will soak it right up and can be quite difficult to remove it all and may leach back out into your tank. I had the same stuff growing on my driftwood and it eventually killed itself off withing a couple of weeks. When I initially saw it, it was on a piece that I had boiled and baked for three days. I removed the piece and boiled and baked it again but it didn't really help. You can just wipe it off and remove the fungus from the tank.

poconogal
05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
OK, that's what I'll do, just wipe it off and do the boiling water thing. Thanks.

surya_niki
05-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi Connie,

what you could also do is add salt in the water let the wood soak for couple more days . After its been soaked in the salt solution remove the wood and soak it in clear water for 2 more days which is done to take off the salt from it. then clean it and use it.

Regards,
Surya

phidelt85
05-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi Connie,

what you could also do is add salt in the water let the wood soak for couple more days . After its been soaked in the salt solution remove the wood and soak it in clear water for 2 more days which is done to take off the salt from it. then clean it and use it.

Regards,
Surya

OOOps, forgot to mention that part. my last boils were in a salt solution as well. No biggy if you didn't though

poconogal
05-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Hi Connie,

Regards,
Surya

OOOps, forgot to mention that part. my last boils were in a salt solution as well. No biggy if you didn't though
Hi Again! Will put salt in the tank tonight. About how much salt?

surya_niki
05-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi Connie,

Add about a tea spoon per gallon.

Regards,
Surya

poconogal
05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi Connie,

Add about a tea spoon per gallon.

Regards,
Surya
Thanks, Surya!

Apistomaster
06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
If there is "fuzzy" grow on wood subjected to any method of disinfecting it may just be a species of wood that is too soft to be very good for aquarium use.

Softwood will continue to decay even if the fuzz problem goes away and this decay will be a major source of increased BOD which is undesireable. It is worth considering a wood less prone to this problem such as the commercial Mopani or Malaysian bogwoods.

Small pieces of these softwoods are good for including in the diets of Panaque species but to use larger pieces as major aquascape design features can contribute to low ORP and low DO and as the bacteria continue to feed on it the nitrates may be higher than optimum.

All these parameters can be measured and if you were to run experiments the problems caused by decaying softwood would soon be readily apparent.