PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to do water changes?

thewarning
07-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Whats the easiest way to do water changes? I have Python No Spill Clean 'N Fill siphon. Would it be adequate to use this to fill while putting some water conditioner to remove chlorine? Would in neutralize the chlorine instantly?

What about "aging" water? The idea of lugging a bunch of buckets seems very difficult. What’s the easiest way?

DarkDiscus
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
In my apartment I had a 60 gallon bin with a pump in it that I would use to age water and re-fill tanks. I use another pump to drain the water from my tank out the front door. I filled the bin using the python and treated it for chlorine/chloramines before letting it rest 24 hours.

In my house I re-fill directly from the tap (well water) using the python.

In the appartment I did 50% water changes a day on my 55 gallon and 2 45 gallon tanks in about 30 minutes before work every day.

In the house I do a 50-70% water change every other day on my 180 gallon and it takes about an hour from start to finish.

I wipe the tank down every other water change and change the filter sponges on my wet/dry about once a month or so.

HTH,

John

Don Trinko
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Storage is my problem. I have 2 10g and 1 35g heated storage tanks. I age the water at least 24 hrs.
Someone on this web site had an excelent idea for emptying water: Make a syphon of pvc pipe and elbows. I have the other end of the syphon hooked up to a water hose.
The part of the syphon that goes in your tank is only long enough to empty a certain amout of water. When the water gets to that point you loose the syphon action and no more water is removed. I did not glue that part of the syphon. I have several calibrated tubes for different tanks and different amounts of water to remove. They are each marked with a permanent marker. I start the syphon and let it drain into the bathroom shower or the toilet and then do all the other wc things.
I also have a pump with an adapter for water hose. I use the RV drinking water hoses.
What I need now is an automatic way to shut the water off when the tank is full. Don T.

Blackwater Aquaria
07-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi Mike from Blackwater Aquaria. I also use a homemade unit like you have works great. I have my water draining to my septic tank washer drain in the celler I just take about 6 feet of hose out from one of my cabinets prime and let it go. You did not say if you had well or city supply water if its well water not much to worry about if its city water call the water dept. and see what the total CL2 is in your area I would guess that it is under 1.00 ppm maybe in the arear of .50 ppm or mg/l both are the same. As far as water changes I use tapwater I have never had a problem doing it this way I also have planted tanks I remove the PO4 in my filters with a product called PO4 sponge from Dr. Foster and Smith also I do 2 water changes a week about 30 to 35 % my Discus grow fine and my plants also. Mike

Cosmo
07-20-2007, 05:08 PM
The idea behind aging water is to insure the ph has stabilized, the chlorines/chloramnes are removed or neutralized, and the water is the approx. temp as the water in the tank. The condition of your tap water plays a role in determining how important aging is or is not.

The easiest way to change water is to have automated solenoids drain water directly into your home's sewer, and solenoid floats start and stop the flow of new water that is pumped into your tank. Not a reasonable solution for most.

I use python's assisted by small in-line pumps (Mag5) for syphoning the bottom of my basement tanks and have drains (either pvc deep syphons or bulkheaded) to speed up the draining process. The drains alone won't remove the detritus from the bottom of the tanks.

I use various pumps to refill the tanks since I have tanks both in the basement (near my storage tanks) and on the 2nd floor. For the basement tanks I use a Mag7, for the 180 on the second floor I use a diaphram pump.

If you have a large tank in your living area that you refill by pump, it's a good idea to have an auto shutoff float/solenoid wired into the circuit to prevent damage to floor, furniture, etc. It'll cost about $100 to add the auto cutoff, but from experience I've learned it's worth the money.

Tap water can be tricky, especially if you are plumbed into a municipal water source, so care and observation are important. Remember tap water quality is not consistent and the composition will change based on city maintenance and environmental conditions. Always discharge the tap water above the surface of the tank to facilitate gas exchange.

Having experienced dramatic problems from directly adding tap water, I always age my water. However, many many people refill their tanks using pythons hooked directly to the taps and add water conditioner to the tank without experiencing problems.

Jim