PDA

View Full Version : moss balls

Palue
07-25-2007, 01:40 AM
I bought a moss ball today and it is huge. The lady at the LFS said that I could cut it in half and have two of them. I would like to know if any of you have done this and is it just that easy to cut them in half??

:angel:

April
07-25-2007, 01:43 AM
nope..but i ordered some..so go ahead..and report back. lol. i havent seen one...i saw the kind that look like balloons on a string.

Dissident
08-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I bought a moss ball today and it is huge. The lady at the LFS said that I could cut it in half and have two of them. I would like to know if any of you have done this and is it just that easy to cut them in half??

You can divide them into as many pieces as you want. But here is the catch on moss-balls. You have to turn them. They grow naturally in areas with a moderate water current, they roll around the bottom of the body of water getting light to all sides keeping growth consistent, and the round shape. They sit in one place too long then the underside will start to die.

If you want to divide yours be sure to turn it every few days to keep it growing nice.

tpl*co
08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
You can divide them into as many pieces as you want. But here is the catch on moss-balls. You have to turn them. They grow naturally in areas with a moderate water current, they roll around the bottom of the body of water getting light to all sides keeping growth consistent, and the round shape. They sit in one place too long then the underside will start to die.

If you want to divide yours be sure to turn it every few days to keep it growing nice.

Yep, and after cutting them, "squish" the pieces in your hand into a ball shape :)

Tina

Palue
08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Okay, thanks. But all I want to do is cut it in half. So do I just cut it in half and keep it moved in the tank every otherday??

Will the cut area form a round shape is what I am really concerned about??

April
08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
ok well yours are different that what i have..mine have a plastic ball and netting and a fishingline for a string..and they sit halfway up in your tank..tethered. they look like a balloon. i can scissor mine..like a ball..same as doing myh poodle tails if need be. same thing..lol. oh im a dog groomer when im not playing with the fishies. : )