PDA

View Full Version : New to discus, have question

Kendi
07-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I have 3 discus, 2 are about 2 - 2 1/2 inches and 1 at about 3 inches. They are in a 30 gal. gravel bottom planted tank with 4 glo-lites and a cory. No nitrates, nitrites or ammonia and ph is about 7.0 water temp at 85
I do at least a 1/3 of a tank water changes every other day, they all are eating, and compared to when I bought them they have really lightened up (they were a little on the stressed side when I bought them, not correct water) anyway one of my smaller ones seems to be bothering me a little cause he seems to be darker and sometimes seems to be breathing a little harder than the other 2. I have had them all for about 3 weeks and when they came home they went into a very well established tank, from my angel craze, water really stays perfect condition wise with little work. I am not sure if I should treat the tank or him or if he is fine. The 3 incher is a pigeon blood strain I guess, then I have a cobalt (the one in question) and I do not remember what I was told the other one is, he is light blue with red sqigglies and black stripes. Anyway any info would be great, I love watching them and want them to stay healthy. Thanks in advance for any info.:wave:

Apistomaster
07-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I would recommend going bare bottom with some potted sword plants. If I did not say this someone else would.

The one discus you are concerned with may come out of it but there is also usually one in every group that lags behind the others. This is especially likely if these discus passed through a retail fish shop. Further more, discus are best kept in groups of six or more. They derive increased security being part of a larger group and the inevitable pecking order is more diffuse in larger groups.

AADiscus
07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Larry is right.....you might try putting them in a bb tank. Are you aging your water and cleaning your filter(s) in the tank? You might try upping your wc's some. What are you feeding them? If you are using bh in a planted tank make sure you do a wc after about 30 minutes or so, so that it doesn't get under the gravel. It will really foul up your tank.

Kendi
07-28-2007, 01:44 AM
you might try putting them in a bb tank.
What does this mean? New to the lingo 'round here.

Are you aging your water and cleaning your filter(s) in the tank? You might try upping your wc's some.
My water is thru a water softener. I do let it set with an air stone though. I keep my tanks clean cause I don't want to have any bad water readings. Filters are cleaned.

What are you feeding them? If you are using bh in a planted tank make sure you do a wc after about 30 minutes or so, so that it doesn't get under the gravel. It will really foul up your tank.
Not sure what bh stands for, I feed them live brine shrimp, black worms, blood worms, flake and frozen varieties of food.
I had to pull my guy out so i could treat him I am using garlic juice (for fish) on food and a general outer parasite treatment in water cause he was looking pretty bad but in just less than 8 hours after treatment he is eating better and getting some color back, not so dark.

AmberC
07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
bb = bare bottom

bh = beefheart

Kendi
07-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks!:D

mmorris
07-28-2007, 12:09 PM
What does this mean? New to the lingo 'round here.

If you go to the `discus basics for beginners' section, hit `beginners information index' in the sticky section, and go to `common abbreviations,' you will find many that are used on this forum. I got a lot of use out of it when I was new! Martha

AmberC
08-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks!:D

NP :)

Tropical Haven
08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
NP= No Problem :D:D