PDA

View Full Version : acclimating discus

angelover
07-28-2007, 01:14 PM
i'm setting up a new 75 gallons with the hope of transporting my current fish; an angel, 2 cory's and some harleys with a few discus. the discus at my lfs are kept at 85 degrees and a ph of 6.5, where my fish have long lived at 78 Degrees and ph 7.5. Is there any way I can split the difference,say 80 degrees and 7.0 ph, and make all the fish happy or should I just give up the dream of discus. :( thanks for any response.

mmorris
07-28-2007, 01:26 PM
If you are setting up a new 75 gal., what are your current fish in? The solution is simple! Get rid of the current fish, or keep two tanks! :D You might want to check out the tankmates section. Some people keep angels and, I think, harlies, with discus. I'm guessing they would get used to the higher temp. It depends what kind of corie you have. I prefer keeping discus on their own, myself. I highly recommend checking out the sponsors' section for discus. Often discus sold in LFS are of poor quality and ill. Martha

angelover
07-28-2007, 01:56 PM
thanks for the response. The other fish are in a 29 gallon and I considered the option of the two tanks but I really don't have the room to keep two tanks, I have stuff stocked up on top of each waiting for that 29 gallon to come down for space. I have peppered cory's, one is an albino.
I don't know what to do:confused:
but I am curious, does anyone know the best way to go about raising the temp safely for fish?

pcsb23
07-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Pepered cory's won't do well at discus temps, they prefer or need much lower temps, nearer the 75f rather than 86f mark.

loggerbomb
08-04-2007, 10:51 PM
I have 4 peppered cories in 83F water and they are fine.

Tropical Haven
08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't keep the discus in temps any lower than 82 degrees.