PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon or 90 gallon

hboute
08-15-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm thinking about getting a bigger tank for my 4 discus (now in 46 gallon) and I was wondering if it's better to go with the 75 or 90 gallon (90 gallon is 24" high, 75 22").
Also, how many water changes per week are required for these bigger tanks? I'm planning to get some additional discus once they're settled in.

Polar_Bear
08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
75 gallons are my favorite size tank, a bit easier to keep clean than a 90, but as you already noted, they have exactly the same footprint. IMO tank size has no bearing on water change schedule, larger tanks usually have more fish so there is no difference in how fast the water gets "dirty".

Kindredspirit
08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
75 gallons are my favorite size tank, a bit easier to keep clean than a 90,

Why Larry? I was going to answer this thread and suggest going with the 90 since most go up sooner or later anyways...

Glad I didn't!

I want a 75gal tank so much...but then someone said "just get a 90"....:confused:

salman
08-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Why Larry? I was going to answer this thread and suggest going with the 90 since most go up sooner or later anyways...

Glad I didn't!

I want a 75gal tank so much...but then someone said "just get a 90"....:confused:

I completely agree. If you can afford a 90 gallon right now, then get a 90 gallon. It will be a little harder to clean, but you won't feel the difference. So instead of 10 minute maintenance everyday, you will be doing 12, and its worth the 2 minutes.
+ You can have more discus! :D

mmorris
08-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Why not a 125 gal.? Or two? :D
Martha

hboute
08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Why not a 125 gallon? I only have room for a 4 feet tank. I'm thinking about getting the 90 gallon, I guess I better get a gravel vacuum with a long hose attached so I can direct it straight into my backyard...

loggerbomb
08-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Go as big as you can. I got a 75 gallon aquarium and at first I thought it was too big, but than after getting it up and running I wish I had been able to get a larger one.

Polar_Bear
08-15-2007, 11:05 AM
The reason a 75 is better than a 90 I have already stated, they are far easier to keep clean. If you are looking for the largest tank possible with a 4 foot footprint then a 120 gallon would be your best choice 48 x 24 x 24, these are also far more difficult to clean though. With discus cleanliness is everything, an added 2" in height is nothing as far as water, but makes keeping it clean a much more difficult proposition.

Ed13
08-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Why not a 125 gallon? I only have room for a 4 feet tank. I'm thinking about getting the 90 gallon, I guess I better get a gravel vacuum with a long hose attached so I can direct it straight into my backyard...
Then go for the 4 ' 120g;)

OK, here is the way I see it! Having own both sizes, there really isn't much difference in the mantenence or stocking deparment. For me its the way they show.
I HATE getting my hands in the water especially when taking care of multiple tanks so I make or buy cleaning tubes, hose syphons, magnets etc so fit the need so this eliminates the diff in mantenence.
When stocking, it doesn't really matter unless is a show tank. What you can keep in the 75g you can keep in the 90g, just change more water. Although in my view no 4' tank should hold too many discus as a show tank as it doesn't look pleasant to the eye.

NOW if this tank will be any sort of show tank (planted, wood only, reef, etc) those 4 inches can mean a world of difference, and don't get me started on those extra 6 inches from front to back in the 120. It will look more impressive with those extra 4 inches, period.

BTW, all of my (still empty) grow out tanks are 75g

ed8t
08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
My main planted display tank is a 120, less maintenance required so I can handle the 24" depth. My grow out is a 75 just because it's easier to keep clean...easier to reach the bottom and rear glass w/o a stool. So if you want to go larger I'd say go for the 120 over the 90. :)

hboute
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
how many discus can you keep in both tanks?

Harriett
08-15-2007, 01:24 PM
The rule of thumb is ten gallons per discus. Many of us break this rule successfully [notably, our Squiggy, are you here?] BUT you have to stay on top of water quality and tank maintenance. If you are newer in this hobby, sticking with the rule--or close to it, for a while until you have more experience, would be my suggestion.
Sooner or later, whatever size tank you decide on will just not seem big enough....LOL
Best regards
Harriett

hboute
08-15-2007, 01:41 PM
One of the reasons I am getting a bigger tank is that my 46 gallon is getting too small for my 4 discus and other fish (2 angels, 5 plecos, tetras and rasboras, blue ram, apisto...). It's time to expand so I can have more fishies...

Elcid
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Hey :)

Can you buy a 4 foot 90 gallon tanks these days made of tempered glass? One of may main beefs with 90 gallon tanks are that they are so much heavier than a 75. I can move a 75 with some help but a 90 gallon I need a full crew.

Okay, I want to add another suggestion here. I recently bought a used 58 gallon oceanic tank which is a 3 foot tank and I'm very pleased with it. It's a nice display tank and since my arms are fairly long I don't have much trouble cleaning it. I think it's easier to clean than my 4 foot 75 actually because I can pretty much reach all corners without having to move ;).....Oh and did I mention that a 3 foot tank is oh so much easier to get into your car ;)...

HTH,
Sandeep

hboute
08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I think the one I saw at the LFS was an AGA tank, don't know if it is tempered glass, but I have an SUV and it looks like it will fit with the rear seats down... Must be able to carry it with 2 persons, right?

hboute
08-15-2007, 04:11 PM
also had a look at the line of Oceanic tanks yesterday at the LFS, which are nicer (my 46 bowfront is an Oceanic), but also much more expensive... especially the stands. Wish there was a better choice in stands, though, always have to be satisfied with the simple pine oak stand, but I guess it is not the stand I'm going to be looking at once the discus are in the tank...

Cosmo
08-15-2007, 05:32 PM
If you go with the 90, buy acrylic not glass :)

Ed13
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
also had a look at the line of Oceanic tanks yesterday at the LFS, which are nicer (my 46 bowfront is an Oceanic), but also much more expensive... especially the stands. Wish there was a better choice in stands, though, always have to be satisfied with the simple pine oak stand, but I guess it is not the stand I'm going to be looking at once the discus are in the tank...
They are made by AGA after the buy out, first thing they did was fired the team tha was producing the Oceanic tanks. These guys organized and formed a new Co. No clue if the new Oceanics will be as long lasting as the old ones. I f you have money to spare check out the Oceanic Tech Series tanks.

Ed13
08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey :)

Can you buy a 4 foot 90 gallon tanks these days made of tempered glass? One of may main beefs with 90 gallon tanks are that they are so much heavier than a 75. I can move a 75 with some help but a 90 gallon I need a full crew.

There is no difference in weight from equal size and thickness from tempered glass to regular stuff. They are actually the same before the to be tempered glass is place in the kiln. Go with acrylic if weight is an issue.