PDA

View Full Version : Return Policies

Cosmo
08-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I've read rave reviews about Big Al's return policies, but just got my first opportunity to use it myself, and let me tell you, they ain't no Drs. Foster & Smith :angry:

I ordered a widget online that came in several sizes. I KNOW I checked the correct box for the widget size I wanted, and then breezed through the process and placed the order, along with 4 or 5 other things.

Seems there's a problem with their computer system though, so at payment time my one order was split into two orders.. guess they've had this problem a couple months now I was told.

Anyway, half of the order arrived yesterday and I found that I received the incorrect size of widget. The only printed record I have of the order is from after it was split, and sure enough the wrong size is shown there. Since I can't prove I ordered the correct size, I must now ship it back at my own expense. Not a huge deal if I hadn't ordered the correct part in the first place.. I did, but can't prove it.

So.. I'll ship it back unopened and when they receive it, they'll send me a GIFT CERTIFICATE. Won't credit my credit card cause I can't prove I ordered the right part, and can't simply credit my online account cause their system is incapable of doing it :angry: To redeam my gift certificate, I have to place my next (and last) order over the phone :mad: Since several other online stores price match.. guess Big Al's will still come in handy for leverage.

They're taking it back, and giving me my money back in a round about way, and it won't cost too much to ship... but WHAT A PITA :mad::mad:

Past experience with drsfostersmith has always been they would pick up the freight if there was even a hint the mistake was theirs (as in a computer glitch that re-writes one order into two), and credit my credit card or give me an online credit (my choice)!!

Guess I've been spoiled.

Jim

White Worm
08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Bummer....I just ordered my filter and was able to print out invoice right before I ordered which clearly spells out what I ordered. However, I was later told that it was out of stock but they kindly sent me an email letting me know when it would be in stock and asked if i wanted to keep the order open or close it. Since it will only be a week delay, i told them to keep it open. I havent had to return anything yet so hopefully this wont turn ugly. I have ordered things in the past from them and got everything I ordered with no problems. This is what I printed out so there is no confusion later.

Big Als Online...

Order Receipt

Thank you for your order! Please print this page for your records.

Order #: 4331864
Order Date: 2007-08-26

Order Summary

Shopping Cart Items Price Qty
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter
Store Item #1380030
SKU 17652 $ 89.99 USD 1

Subtotal: $ 89.99 USD
Shipping: $ 10.95 USD
Total: $ 100.94 USD

Cosmo
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah.. first time I ever had a problem with them, and it is a bummer.. could be worse, just such a PITA.

What was weird was that when after I entered by credit card info and clicked the finish button, I got an error message that an application error had occurred and my order was not placed, I never got to the screen with the order confirmation to print out! When I went to my order history, it showed the order as placed but didn't give a line item breakdown. THEN I received two e-mails confirming two different orders - the two of which combined was my complete original order. That was the first opportunity I had to print any receipts.

Wouldn't really bother me if I wasn't sure I had checked the right size.. but I know I did :angry: I've never ordered the wrong product and I've place a lot of online orders.

Hopefully it's not an age related issue :o :D

Greg Richardson
08-30-2007, 06:29 PM
After you ordered didn't they send you an order confirmation email?
I always check those to make sure on money and parts.

Cosmo
08-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Yep, they did.. they sent me two :confused: Which confused the heck out of me so I called them and they explained how their computer's been acting up and they had to re-enter my one order as two. I scanned the list and everything I had ordered seemed to be there, but obviously I didn't look close enough at the detail.. oh well

But Gift Certificate.. via snail mail.. that I have to phone in to use?? What century are we in :confused:

Greg Richardson
08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I look real hard now at confirmation emails after ordering. I had a simular situation like yours which cost me shipping costs. I decided from then on I will examine it better because if you don't nail them right after that email you are toast with most online retailors.

AmberC
08-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Wow Jim, I dont care much for that return policy either. I have ordered from them before, but the only issue I had was I made my order online and it wouldn't work so I called and did the order and they were very helpful (I wasn't trying to return anything though!)

Amber