PDA

View Full Version : 6ft non co2 setup

Mordrake
09-05-2007, 03:40 AM
hi folks

this is a low maintenance non-co2 planted setup done on 24th aug 2007
going through the usual crypt meltdown at the moment.
for your review and feedback please, thanks :grin:

6x2x2.5ft ht with 4x1.5x1.5ft sump
eheim 1262 return pump
lights using 3x80W T5 HO (8 hrs)
36W coralife UV sterilizer
seachem onyx sand

ammonia: near 0
no3: 10ppm
po4: 1ppm
pH: 7.90
KH: 3 (kit might not be accurate for this)

plants list:

Blyxa japonica
Blyxa aubertii
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne lucen
Cryptocoryne walkeri
Cryptocoryne wendtii Tall Green
Echinodorus red rubin
Sagittaria subulata
Java fern
Java fern Narrow leaf
Java fern Tropica
Anubias barteri broad leaf
Anubias barteri nana
Cryptocoryne wendtii Green
Echinodorus ozelot Green
Echinodorus tenellus
Vallisneria spiralis
Java fern windelov

fishes: (to be added)

20+ cories
100+ cardinals
1 bristlenose
2 kribs
4 rams
20+ otos
10 SAEs
10 redline torpedos
discus... how many?? wilds?! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/elimmel/Kovan%20Tank/DSC06925.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/elimmel/Kovan%20Tank/DSC06927.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/elimmel/Kovan%20Tank/DSC06928.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/elimmel/Kovan%20Tank/DSC06929.jpg

standoyo
09-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Wow, so you've finally done it! Promising indeed. Go for wild discus!!! Alenquers or some nice greens or the ultimate-heckels!!!

Harriett
09-05-2007, 01:57 PM
This looks to be an excellent start--you have started with really nice composition--looks very natural; it is going to grow out to something fantastic! Keep us in pictures as it matures, will you? What will your fert regimen and schedule be?
Harriett

Condor
09-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Beautiful tank you got there. Makes those cardinals look so small!

Adrian:)

Polar_Bear
09-05-2007, 07:11 PM
It seems to be a well thought out setup. The only negative I can see is that you may have a bit too much light over a non-CO2 injected tank.

Mordrake
09-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, so you've finally done it! Promising indeed. Go for wild discus!!! Alenquers or some nice greens or the ultimate-heckels!!!

had some greens, rsgs and heckels previously until my dad took them for his setup....
they all perished when power shortage occurred when no one was home...

will be going to the fish farm to check out the wild stocks tomorrow. but i don't think i'll be adding until the tank settles for another couple of weeks

Mordrake
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
This looks to be an excellent start--you have started with really nice composition--looks very natural; it is going to grow out to something fantastic! Keep us in pictures as it matures, will you? What will your fert regimen and schedule be?
Harriett

being non co2 with low light, fert dosing will be minimal... probably as and when they plants tell me too. water changes will be once every 1-2 mths.

if the bioload increases greatly (discus poop machines), WC will be weekly with small fert doses (KNO3, PO4, seachem equilibrium, macros and micros)
weekly WC and dosing will also be done if i choose to add co2 later on to boost plant growth

Mordrake
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Beautiful tank you got there. Makes those cardinals look so small!

Adrian:)

thanks Adrian... will try to pump up the cardinals :D

Mordrake
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
It seems to be a well thought out setup. The only negative I can see is that you may have a bit too much light over a non-CO2 injected tank.

the wpg is roughly 1.1 - 1.3. that will do very nicely for a non co2 low maintenance setup :D
anyway, there's 2 switches so i can drop it to 2x80W if needed.

Harriett
09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I think your wattage will work fine for a low tech tank. Just adjust your light hours and ferts as needed, as the tank matures, of course, until it gets into the groove. Once you have discus in there, I would go with weekly water changes--in my 180 [same size as yours] I change about 75% once a week and that seems to do nicely. I never keep more than about a dozen discus in there, but also have lots of clean up crew types and loaches, etc. I would suggest using a hefty prefilter as well, which you can rinse out a few times a week between water changes--it helps a lot in my system.
You are going to have a fantastic tank there!
Best regards
Harriett

penglim
09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
WOW!!! amazing!! Great job. What is that big plant on the far right?

Mordrake
09-07-2007, 11:27 PM
WOW!!! amazing!! Great job. What is that big plant on the far right?

the plants is Microsorum pteropus 'Tropica'... aka Java Fern Tropica

Mordrake
09-07-2007, 11:32 PM
I think your wattage will work fine for a low tech tank. Just adjust your light hours and ferts as needed, as the tank matures, of course, until it gets into the groove. Once you have discus in there, I would go with weekly water changes--in my 180 [same size as yours] I change about 75% once a week and that seems to do nicely. I never keep more than about a dozen discus in there, but also have lots of clean up crew types and loaches, etc. I would suggest using a hefty prefilter as well, which you can rinse out a few times a week between water changes--it helps a lot in my system.
You are going to have a fantastic tank there!
Best regards
Harriett

thanks for the tips :)
just added co2 via cylinder with solenoid.
figure that even with low light, co2 would be most beneficial too...
actually the onyx is keeping pH at 7.9 to 8... added the co2 since it is beneficial for the plants as well as will bring the pH down. will adjust my fert dosing.

Apistomaster
09-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Is it your substrate that is raising your pH to 8.0 already or is your water supply already 8.0? If it is caused by the substrate it may be difficult to keep your pH and hardness within reason in the long run.

illumnae
09-17-2007, 08:33 AM
thanks for the tips :)
just added co2 via cylinder with solenoid.
figure that even with low light, co2 would be most beneficial too...
actually the onyx is keeping pH at 7.9 to 8... added the co2 since it is beneficial for the plants as well as will bring the pH down. will adjust my fert dosing.

wouldn't your use of a sump for filtration be detrimental to your adding of co2 due to outgassing? you'd require quite a high rate of co2 addition to overcome the outgassing

Apistomaster
09-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Looks to me like your filter is wet filter design Mordrake, not the wet/dry style which is more liable to accelerate CO2 loss.

Mordrake
09-18-2007, 04:40 AM
yep , the onyx is probably keeping pH up a tad.
with co2 injection and removal of 4 kg of coral chips, the pH is ard 6.9 (co2 and lights on) to 7.4 (co2 & lights off).

i have modified the intake with a diy durso pipe as well as use washing machine hosing for the water return to sump to reduce the co2 outgas.

cameras not with me. will try to update in a couple of weeks.