PDA

View Full Version : Housing Discus?

beadgal05
09-30-2007, 02:44 PM
I have a 75 gallon tank near the front door--and a 55 gallon tank in the dinning-room and I just can't decide where to put the discus when I get ready to purchase them?? HELP

2sybs
09-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Just my 2cents but i would put them where you spend the most time as they seem to acclimate to your presence much quicker and won't hide from you when you approach. At the same time the 75 will give them more room for growth and you will be able to handle a larger group of fish. They seem to do better in a group of at least 6 or 7.

dwilder
09-30-2007, 03:10 PM
i say fill them both with discus.one thing i have found like has been said by others on this site is if there babies and you dont have enough discus they seem to get lost and freak out alot in a tank that is to big for their size

mikel
09-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Or you can start with 7 juvenile domestics (tank bred) in either one of the tank, and grow them out and gain experience wth them at the same time. The other tank can be used for "lesser" fish like a community tank of sort. Then, in a year or two, you can give away all your fish in the community tank, except for some rummy noses, and then fill that tank with awsome wild discus. In that way, you will eventually have two tanks full of discus...one domestic and one wild. mike