PDA

View Full Version : Keep a Log

back 2 discus biz
10-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey there,

I used to keep discus six years ago and recently restarted. Before doing so I read everything I could get my hands on (including this great forum) and the main take-home messages were patience (i.e. don't panic and throw in the kitchen sink) and water changes, water changes, water changes. However, there is one thing I do that I have never read anywhere and that is to keep a simple log of all things aquarium. I keep an Excel spreadsheet containing fish additions, water changes, parameter changes like temp, medications and their result/adverse events, filter changes, food type and frequency, etc. It really helps me know exactly how long it's been since something was done or since a behavior (like flashing) started. If you keep enough detail you can send it to others for speedy comments on corrections in times of trouble. Just a suggestion……..

poconogal
10-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Good suggestion. I too keep a detailed log giving water params, dates of WCs, condition of fish, etc.

brewmaster15
10-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Thats a great suggestion... and one that I do too on any special tanks or experiments I am running... it does come in handy!

..unfortunately I have too many individual tanks to do for each tank now... so I use Log shorthand:D:D:D... Black marker on the tanknoting the various parameters, conditions, medications etc... it comes off easy with a razor or rubbing alcohol..and if I need it the info is there...

hth,
al

AADiscus
10-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I used to do the same thing. We have a big binder with tabs for foods, water, medication, etc. We also have a section for breeders, which pair in which tank there fry so that we know who the parents were for genetics.

Tropical Haven
10-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I do the old fashion magic marker on the fish tank glass. :D

Don Trinko
10-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I put a post-it note on the side of the tank listing WC and nitrates. When it fills up I throw it away and start over.
For meds I put a red post-it on the front of the tank and mark the dates the meds should be given, When I give the meds I put a check mark to indicate that I did.
Sometimes I wish I had stored the information permanent. Occasionaly I'll forget what med I used in previous illnesses then if the illness returns I don't remember what worked the last time.
Don T.

Clyde
10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
I had been for quite a while but fell out of the habit, I will start again. I give my memory too much credit, and it would be nice to have the facts especially about previous medications ect.

Mark

poconogal
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I put a post-it note on the side of the tank listing WC and nitrates. When it fills up I throw it away and start over.
For meds I put a red post-it on the front of the tank and mark the dates the meds should be given, When I give the meds I put a check mark to indicate that I did.
Sometimes I wish I had stored the information permanent. Occasionaly I'll forget what med I used in previous illnesses then if the illness returns I don't remember what worked the last time.
Don T.
I use this:
http://www.cafepress.com/fishgeeks.36854905

This book is great and I was surprised at how thick it is, I love it!

back 2 discus biz
10-19-2007, 01:07 PM
All you post-it noters and tank scribblers.......come to the electronic darkside! It's permanent, it's transferable, it's sortable, it's searchable, it's sooooo easy. Bring your friends.........

Paul, the Excel pusher

brewmaster15
10-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Oh NO>>>> I accidentally deleted my aquarium Log.....Years of hardwork down the drain...:(:mad:

but wait...theres the backup copy...whew...that was close.. ut-oh....That wasn't on that floppy disk the dog was chewing on?:(:(:(:(

Why oh why didn't I just use that marker on the tank?:)

sorry...couldn't help..:D:D:D:D:angel:

-al

Ps.. You are 100% right...I should take all those notes....all the time..but I gotta tell you..It would be another full time job here.. :)

Don Trinko
10-19-2007, 04:56 PM
The postit's are on each tank. If I get them wet I thow them away and take another one. Is that what you do with the computer? (he,he,he)I don't wory abought a permanent record for wc but it would be handy for meds. Don T.

back 2 discus biz
10-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Resistance is futile.

back 2 discus biz
10-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Artist's concept of Don T's tank. ;)

"Uh, I put some fish around here somewhere....."

OK, now I've got to go hide.

Don Trinko
10-20-2007, 07:51 PM
you have it all wrong....All my postits are blue!!! Don T.