PDA

View Full Version : Substrate color

aix1
10-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi everybody,

trying to figure out how and if color of sand, gravel etc influences discus. Color, behaivour etc. Any experience?

Harriett
10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Substrate and background color have a huge impact on both the color and behaviour of discus, in my experience. I had a dramatic black back ground [looked great with the plants] for a few years and then switched to a light blue. I had medium brown type gravel and switched to light buff silica sand at the same time I repainted the background on my show tank.
The primal drive for discus [for all of us beings on the planet] is safety, of course. Thus, discus try to blend into their surroundings so as not to attract a hungry predator...If the background/substrate are dark, your discus will go in that direction; the reverse is also true. Dependent on the strain of the discus, you will see permutations of this. Examples would include: in a dark situation, barred discus show their stripes more dominantly and pigeon blood varieties will show significantly more peppering [grey/black schmootzy dusty little dots]. Behaviour wise, my discus became more gregarious and active when I lightened up the tank. Their color presentation improved drastically-- the turqs looked more relaxed and better colr, the blue pigeons cleaned up, I had blue fish that I always thought were perplexingly slightly unwell that in reality were fine, just trying to blend in to the old dark look of the tank, as it turned out. They are brilliant in comparison since the updates. Just my two cents.
Bet regards
Harriett

poconogal
10-17-2007, 01:10 PM
What Harriett says is true (Hi Harriett). At one point I had black substrate and black background. Cardinal Tetras looked fantastic against the black. The Discus however, were another matter. My BD turned almost black, so dark that I could barely spot her against the black background and any PBs that I had developed significant peppering. I got rid of the black and now have a BB tank with very light blue on the outside bottom as well as a very light blue background. The same BD that was almost black is now a beautiful, pastel blue and my PBs have lost much of the peppering, and now only have a few dots. I understand that Discus can even darken in a heavily planted tank due to all of the dark green coloration from the plants.

bavaria36
10-17-2007, 07:41 PM
. I understand that Discus can even darken in a heavily planted tank due to all of the dark green coloration from the plants.

I completely agree. My wilds have been getting darker and more secretive as my planted tank matures. They seemed far less stressed and had lighter colours when the plants were less well developed. I check my water parameters every day and they get a 50% WC every two days so I know that the water quality is not the problem. The fish have become more skittish too and I believe it is due to them getting used to the plant cover and seeking the darker spots in the tank

I recently moved a suspected pair to their own BB 30 gallon and they have lightened up considerably. I will say though, that the dominant fish ( two wild greens ) which have a red base colour looked more striking in the planted tank and their red spots were more prominent.

Nonetheless I feel that overall I prefer it when they are in a lighter coloured environment as they look less stressed.

Aaron

aix1
10-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for your thoughts!
I suspected it to be a bit like that. Since I am building up a tank for discus I had an idea of using very light gravel. In my opinion it also does not absorb so much light so some reflects back to the plants so should be positive for that too. But I was thinking about using a black back wall. I will probably get Blue Turqs so I am starting to think about blueish back wall. Just for my eyes black background gives the most beautiful effect...

White Worm
10-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Go with something light colored for wall also. They will glow and you will be more pleased with the look. Even medium blue background seems to be darker under water in low light. Lt Blue or Beige with light sand color on the bottom.

aix1
10-18-2007, 04:44 AM
What about 3D background, close to their biotope, tree roots for example?

Harriett
10-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Same deal--biotope back wall will be wonderful for you to look at and enjoy. If it is dark, it WILL affect the color and behaviour of you discus. They don't 'recognize' the biotope and feel safe because that is what discus in the wild live in, they just see the color and respond.
Best regards
Harriett

aix1
10-19-2007, 01:46 AM
OK, so it seems that I have to find a light solution. But since the tank is covered currently with black vinyl from the outside I will start with that and light sand. If the colors do not come out it is the easiest thing to change the background. Have over 200 colors in my own stock for self adhesive vinyl so should be no problem ;)

Lewjo11
08-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Would a lite blue or a dark blue bring out better color. My blue discus now have really dark stripes! I plan to paint my tanks bottom a lite sand color

White Worm
08-23-2017, 04:21 PM
This thread is 10 years old but to answer your question, go with sky or lt blue. However, stress bars could be from many things.