PDA

View Full Version : Amquel Plus ir Prime?

wilddiscuss
10-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Which is better and why? I also have another question. When you do water changes do you just condition the water that is being added, or dose the whole tank again? Just curious. I have always used stress coat conditioner. But I think I might use Prime or Amquel Plus. Just not sure which. Just need some feedback from the pros.... Thanks :)

Todd

crazie.eddie
10-23-2007, 02:39 AM
I haven't used Amquel Plus, but if it neutralizes chlorine/chlorine AND ammonia, like Prime, then it should be fine.

Most dechlorinators, like Stress Coat only neutralizes chlorine/chloramine by bonding with the chlorine molecules. Unfortunately, chloramine is chlorine and ammonia, so if chlorine is removed, then you have ammonia present.

Since I use Prime, I only dose the amount that I'm replacing, not for the whole tank. I believe on the bottle it says not to overdose.

mikel
10-23-2007, 05:48 AM
Make it easy for yourslef. I really dont think you need any of that stress coat stuff. Use Amquil +, and a capful for every ten gallons. You can use twice that if you want to be absolutely safe, and then just add the treated water into the tank. In fact, if the other factors such as harness and Ph are acceptable, and your hot water tank is relatively new...you can simply adjust temp of water out of the tap, treat the first bucket of water with amquil +, then add subsequent buckets without much concern. For Amquil, I dont think you can overdose, but of course the fish should not be swimming in it. mike

wilddiscuss
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Amquel Plus sounds like the one. Thanks :)

Todd

Joander123
10-23-2007, 06:35 PM
i use prime myself. Less prime treats more water. 1 capful=50 gallons of water treated. Also, they make it easy because each cap thread counts for 10 gallons.

HTH
J

wilddiscuss
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Hmmmm :confused:

mikel
10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
They are both great products. We are all creatures of habit, and there is no right answer. I may be wrong but I have heard that you shouldnt overdose prime, but not a concern for amquil+...but both are good. You choose...mike

Apistomaster
10-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I like Prime because a little goes a long ways. I don't believe the slime and aloe have any effects worth paying for.

Joander123
10-27-2007, 08:33 AM
prime should not be overdosed... correct. But it can be dosed at up to 5 times its normal dose in an "emergency" situations. Unless you dump a hole bottle of prime into the tank its not really a huge deal. And even if you do, just do a quick water change to get it out... because if you dont it will depleat the o2 levels pretty quickly and sufficate your fish.

Jay

Kindredspirit
10-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I may be wrong but I have heard that you shouldnt overdose prime,

You're wrong.:) Well you don't want to go pouring a whole bottle in the tank ~ the smell alone with kill you! But I have called the company at least three different times and you pretty much can not OD on Prime ~

Northwestcoastdisc
10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I use Prime with my discus no problems for many years!

I dislike?" Korden "Amquel. It could be mislead, It was happend to my beautiful breeding Pair killed by Formalin Korden. Their company nothing to do with that.

I would never touch with Korden again.

I like the seachem products are best stuffs.

Duncan

back 2 discus biz
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
For the Prime users don't forget that they recommend that you cut the dose in half if your tank is above 86F.

I bought a 3.4 oz bottle of Prime to use until my gallon of Amquel+ came in. I have to say I had some minor flashing with one or two random fish for about two hours after each water change. Now that I am using the Amquel+ that issue has disappeared. Go figure but I feel a little better with Amquel+.

As for the dose you do use less Prime but Amquel+ removes more ppm of the "targets".