PDA

View Full Version : Question about behavior

cktrimble
10-24-2007, 11:49 AM
OK - I have been monitoring my discus/angelfish's behavior in the morning when I first turn on the lights and am worried about the behavior I am seeing. It may be nothing, but I want to hear from others before I determine that.

When I first turn the light on, my fish are basically floating along the bottom of the tank. Side fins are going a little bit and they are breathing but not actively swimming. They basically just float along with the current and often float into things almost like they are unconscious. I have figured that this is just normal sleeping behavior, but wanted to verify that. I have not been able to find anything mentioned about this on the boards and wanted to ease my concern.

So, anyway, after about 15 minutes, it is like they wake up and start swimming around and are ready to eat (back to normal).

Can someone verify or otherwise my concern?

Thank you,
Kevin

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that when I first turn the lights on, each of my discus are pretty dark in color indicative of stress. ???

dwilder
10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
discus do get still and very dark when the lights go out what your describing sounds normal to me

Tropical Haven
10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
This is very normal and there isn't anything to worry about.

cktrimble
10-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Thank you! I just wanted to be sure.

TC,
Kevin

tinsel town tommy
10-24-2007, 06:07 PM
OK - I have been monitoring my discus/angelfish's behavior in the morning when I first turn on the lights and am worried about the behavior I am seeing. It may be nothing, but I want to hear from others before I determine that.

When I first turn the light on, my fish are basically floating along the bottom of the tank. Side fins are going a little bit and they are breathing but not actively swimming. They basically just float along with the current and often float into things almost like they are unconscious. I have figured that this is just normal sleeping behavior, but wanted to verify that. I have not been able to find anything mentioned about this on the boards and wanted to ease my concern.

So, anyway, after about 15 minutes, it is like they wake up and start swimming around and are ready to eat (back to normal).

Can someone verify or otherwise my concern?

Thank you,
Kevin

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that when I first turn the lights on, each of my discus are pretty dark in color indicative of stress. ???

Check the water Temp. Maybe the temp is too cold during the sleeping hours. Maybe!

Tommy

cktrimble
10-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I actually checked that first thing. Temp is usually down by 1 degree (85 in the morning instead of the usual 86 during the day). Outside of that, the temp looks good. I also suspected a possible PH issue, but have tested that as well.

Apparently from what the two posts before you stated, this is normal.

Again, thank you to everyone for your quick replies, much appreciated! :)

TC,
Kevin

Cosmo
10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Yep.. they're still sleeping :angel: Takes awhile for them to get going.. no coffee :p

cktrimble
10-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Yep.. they're still sleeping :angel: Takes awhile for them to get going.. no coffee :p

Well, dang, guess I'm gonna have to make them some coffee!!! :)

White Worm
10-25-2007, 12:31 AM
You may notice that they will also lighten in color and lose eye color while sleeping. The other clue is eye position. Their eyes will both angle down like this. \ /
They will float around with the current and bump into things while in their sleep state. Normal.

2sybs
10-25-2007, 04:43 AM

Well I have read about using teabags.... I guess coffee would not be much of a leap. ( just in the AM at least)
so, Uh... Lets see. I use three heaping scoops for around 12 cups...
so with 75 gallons that would be uh.. dang, how many cups in 75 gallons, anyone know? Math not one of my better skills. :p

Apistomaster
10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I have used Valium to calm down excessively flighty discus.
Go ahead, laugh, but it works.

doc3toes
10-28-2007, 01:14 AM
what dose? just curious, i'm working on a discus formulary.