PDA

View Full Version : Automated Waterchanges

OriTeper
10-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on building a new planted Discus tank (+-150gl) and since i have a good location right next to a sink i want to set it up for auto water changing (no more bucket hauling!!).
Ok so i came up with a plan on how to make it work and i wanted to share and also ask if you guys think its a good system and/or if you have any ideas to improve it.

Ok so the main setup will include A drilled display tank with an overflow that will drain to a sump below, a reservoir that will be filled with water from an R/O unit and that will be connected to sump via a top-off system to replenish evaporated water.

now for the water changes: a second pump in the reservoir going to the sump will be connected to a timer which will be programmed to turn the pump on for x time (x=enough time to drain say 80% of the reservoir) and then it will turn off for y time (time needed to refill to top +10% for error).
the sump also has an overflow which is set about 1/2" above the Top-off height. from this overflow water goes to drain.

so in short:
Timer on --> pump moves 80% of reservoir water to sump --> sump overflows and access water drain ---> Timer off , Water change complete!
here is a simple diagram i made on paint to visualize the system

http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/a/ashman2006/115318/kwqozrcney.jpg
a few notes:
entry of new water is near the return pump side of sump and overflow (of sump) is on the receiving side (so as to drain water from the tank and not the new water coming in from the reservoir)

a second timed dosing pump will add GH additive according to the amount of water changed(just have to figure how much water will be changed daily)

I have also thought of two other ways to handle the auto-WC but i think the one above is the best (and least expensive) still i will note them for reference:

alternative A: Keep the main setup and have a timed pump in the sump to simply drain water from sump to drain and have Top-off system handle replacing the water (problems: top-off system might not be strong enough to catch up to the draining amount, also if i want to not risk having the sump empty out i will have to install more float switches = more $$$)

alternative B: keep main setup and install a 3way solenoid valve on the drain from the main tank connected to a timer. normally water will drain to sump, but when timer kicks in the valve redirects water from tank overflow to sink drain.Top off system will replace missing water as sump level goes down. after x time the valve shuts off and water drains back into the sump
(problems: again top-off might not be able to handle flow, risk of drying the sump, 3 way solenoid valves are not cheap!!)

thoughts, ideas comments would be welcome :D