PDA

View Full Version : Starting a planted tank

imac1184
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I have a couple of questions regarding starting a planted tank. First time poster btw.

When I first started out I tried to do a planted tank initially in my 72g tank, but most of the plants eventually withered and died. I have t5 lamps with 216 watts, and also I initially got regular inert gravel. From what I read it definitly sounds like the plants I got had a mineral deficiency and all withered away.

I am interested in starting up a low tech planted tank again for my discus'. I have recently noticed that there is florite gravel which is supposidly better for planted tanks. Do I need special gravel or can I can I still keep the old regular gravel?

What kind of fertilizers are recommended? So that I don't end up with the same problems of withering plants. I would like to stay away from CO2 if possible as well, but I do not mind fertlizing.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to purchase plants online? My LFS has pretty limited selection, and I would prefer to get the species of plants I know are low maintenence.

Thanks for the help.

Harriett
10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
This is actually a series of questions that require a lot of information. I think for starters you should go to some of the planted tank forums and begin researching. Find out everything you can from reading up for a bit, and THEN if and when you still have questions, ask. In all sincerity, I think this thread hasn't been responded to because it would require a great deal of time--from what you have written, you haven't done your homework yet!
Best regards

White Worm
10-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Welcome to simply though! :D

GrillMaster
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Welcome to "SD"

www.aquariumplants.com would be a good starting point. They will explain what plants will grow under the conditions you are looking into. Click on aquarium plants, then click on low light plants. Go from there.

The tank size is good, an the lighting is good for your tank as long as you just keep it on for 7-8 hours with lil over 2 wpg.

You want plants such as amazon swords, anubias, moss, java fern, sags etc...

For the most part the fish, food, an poop will take care of alot of ferts for ya. You should consider jobe sticks under the substrate for the sword plants, the rest will take the water column ferts.

Now...Substrate is a diverse subject depending on the application you want to obtain. Typical aquarium gravel is pretty much taboo. It is usually very course, an has no buisness in a planted tank. Look into something like pool sand. Its easy to keep clean, an the plants like it alot. Its really cheap as well!

Anubias, moss, java ferns dont care what the substrate is! They need to be tied on hard scape (rocks,driftwood) an as I said earlier, will take the ferts from the water column. Flourish with iron works great with flourish excel a few times a week.

hth
Mark

imac1184
10-26-2007, 08:33 AM
I realized I asked for a lot of pretty broad info. I have been reading up more and more, but I just thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any good tips.

By no means am I jumping into this anytime soon, just trying to get a basic foundation of knowledge from which to expand.

Bastalker, thanks for the basics, and I will continue to read up. My substrate isn't the typical course aquarium gravel, its small rounded river pebbles, so I think it might be ok to keep, just have to add some of the things you mentioned. But we will see, I will keep reading, pool sand will probably be the best thing.

Just a quick question in regards to the sand, I have seen mentioned on these forums a few times that it is difficult to vacuum the tank without sucking up the sand, is that true? I take it that you can't really do any deep vacuuming of the substrate?

Thanks again!

Danlee
10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey

A good fert which IMO make any plant spring to life esp. with added CO2 but not neccessary is Seachem Excel.
Very good fert.

As for substrate I like Eco-complete as a good all rounder substrate for plants

HTH
Dan

pcsb23
10-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Ian,

Welcome on board :)

Mark (bastalker) gave some pretty good advice, sand (the coarser stuff) is pretty easy to clean, if you hovver the syphon tube about half an inch (1cm) or so above it it will pick all the gunk up and very little sand.

Mark is also too modest to post this link, so I will :D check it out, its a good read.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55440

And you don't need CO2, even with relatively high light, trick is to get the balance right.