PDA

View Full Version : heater/filter setup for 4x2x2 discus tank

Eyecandy
10-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi all you wonderful helpful folks :D
I have another thread explaining that I am upgrading from a 72 gl bow with 6 adult/semi adult discus, 3 bosemani bows and bn and choosing either a 6x18x24 in or 4x2deep (front to back)x2high tank.
I know how to setup the 6foot but I've never had a deep tank before. I have received some great responses to the question of choice, butI thought I would get more response to these questions here.

So if I went with the 4x2x2...
I would use 2 heaters...I have 2 submersibles so they can go anywhere.. would you aline them along the short sides or both along the back??
For filters I have available 2 xp3s as well as airstones, powerhead and sponge filter that can be used.. Would I put one filter on each side along the back like I would for a 6 foot 18in deep tank or again along the short sides (front to back)... Would 2 xp3s be too much for the discus..They don't mind the airstone and xp3 output flow now and I can use the spraybars also if you think that might work better. It is semiplanted sand substrate with driftwood and anubas etc attached to wood. Or should I use the xp3 combined with a sponge filter.
Because its semi=planted with low light plants would the lights I have on my 72 gallon bow (I am transferring everything from there to whichever size new tank I opt for) still be ok or would I need double the sets of light because of the depth (front to back..not height.. that stays the same).
Anything else I need to know about dealing with a two foot deep (not worried about the height) tank??
I'm really excited to get going and give my beautiful discus a new home with more room especially since one of the newer ones I got from Discus Dave has already laid eggs on the filter inlet tube..
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.. Thanks again Sue:angel::angel:

Tropical Haven
10-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Sue,
Place the two heaters on the back glass of your tank. And as of sponge fiters with canister filters is just personal preference, there is no right or wrong answer for that.