PDA

View Full Version : Fish House Finances

B-O-F
11-01-2007, 07:49 AM
I suspect this question is either not going to be answered, or will get a different answer from each reply :)

I am planning a fish room ready for when I retire. Discus only, with the intent of breeding and growing on really high quality fish.

The fish house will hold something in the order of 1500 ( 1800 US ) gallons of water and I am trying to get some idea of how many fish I could raise to 4 inches plus in the average year.

Some of the water would have to be for stock tanks etc and I realize this is a pretty much impossible questiion to answer. My reason is that I am hoping it will actually help provide some small extra income as well as be something for me to do that I will enjoy. ( it is going to have to at least break even to keep the other half quiet :) )

Chinaman
11-01-2007, 09:10 AM
hi...

My electricity bill has double since I have build a fish house, as well as my water bill (water meter).

don't cut corner on insulation.

the number of discus will depend on how much water you can change. if you have got a combi boiler get one of those temperture controller mixer thingy (can't remember the name)and set it to about 29oc. so when you change the water, you don't need to use that much eletricity to heat up the water.

tcyiu
11-01-2007, 11:45 PM
My electricity bill has double since I have build a fish house

Where are you geographically? (Don't have to be too specific ... just roughly whereabouts) I am wondering what the temp range is during year, and roughly how much you pay per kW.

Thanks,
Tim

2sybs
11-02-2007, 06:59 AM
temperture controller mixer thingy (can't remember the name)
It's a Thermostatic mixing valve.
http://pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=4505&brand=Watts&cID=609

Chinaman
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Where are you geographically? (Don't have to be too specific ... just roughly whereabouts) I am wondering what the temp range is during year, and roughly how much you pay per kW.

Thanks,
Tim

London.....

B-O-F
11-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the imput guys, I will be converting a double skin brick building from scratch so I will be able to take care of insulation etc. Probably even include a heat recovery unit for the incoming water supply.

I guess my main concern is the 'unknown' factor.... can you actually make some sort of small income with a fish house if you concentrate on quality rather than quantity ?

Polar_Bear
11-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the imput guys, I will be converting a double skin brick building from scratch so I will be able to take care of insulation etc. Probably even include a heat recovery unit for the incoming water supply.

I guess my main concern is the 'unknown' factor.... can you actually make some sort of small income with a fish house if you concentrate on quality rather than quantity ?

Chances are pretty slim.

B-O-F
11-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Chances are pretty slim.

That was informative :)

Brunog
11-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I dont know anyone who has made money breeding fish.

Now import/export is more profitable, but again, it is very hard to make a profit. Very few people achieve this.

RKeiger
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
The quickest way to make a small fortune breeding fish is to start with a large fortune.

Darren's Discus
11-18-2007, 10:41 PM
The key word is Hobby just enjoy keeping and breeding these great fish,if you can make it pay for it's self your doing well !

cheers

Discus-Hans
12-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Chances are pretty slim.

No very slim lol

Hans

tonymaccs
12-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Anorexic actually!