PDA

View Full Version : Poly-Fil from Walmart

tcyiu
11-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Just a note I've been using Premium Polyester Fiberfil from K Mart for years 20 oz cheep DD

To D discus or anyone else who has used Fiber-fil from Walmart,

Do you have what appears to be tiny white powder floating around in your tank??

After using this stuff since March, I have a cloudy aquarium. Not truly bad, but annoying. When I have the lights on, the water looks a little milky.

Last night I pulled out my son's toy microscope (only 30x mag), and I found that the white specks are like shiny crystals. I suspect the polyester filaments are breaking off into little tiny pieces. My Magnum 330 was not able to polish these bits out of the water.

Anyhow, the fish don't seem to mind. Although in this time period, I've lost 8 cardinals, one Pristella tetra and two clown loaches - all I think due to other causes. All four of the discuses are doing fine and are gaining weight.

Anyone else with experience in this?

Tim

P.S. Now what other alternatives do I have for cheap filter floss??

fishmama
11-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Tim-

I use "Morning Glory" Brand Premium Poly 20 oz from Wal-Mart in my XP3 and have not had this issue.

hth
Lisa

Elite Aquaria
11-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Strange when I had my guppy tanks up and running I used the poly from walmart with not issues...I remember I purchased the finer of the two that they sold.

Dan

D discus
11-03-2007, 02:31 PM
I was using the Morning Glory Brand. On my last trip to wal-mart, my supply was getting low. And they had a bunch of new brands. I bought poly-fil 20 oz as of yet haven't had a need to use it,mfg by Fairfield Danbury,Ct. Thanks for the info-DD

tcyiu
11-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I was using the Morning Glory Brand. On my last trip to wal-mart, my supply was getting low. And they had a bunch of new brands. I bought poly-fil 20 oz as of yet haven't had a need to use it,mfg by Fairfield Danbury,Ct. Thanks for the info-DD

That's the same "brand" as what I am using. I am looking at the bag right now, and it is also made in Danbury.

Perhaps you might try taking a small sample, and swishing it in a clear jar to see if you are getting teeny fragments coming loose.

Please let us know if you're seeing what I see.

Thanks!

Tim

D discus
11-05-2007, 06:18 PM
You are right Tim, its full of Poly dust! I wonder who else carries the Morning Glory Brand?

tcyiu
11-06-2007, 03:24 PM
You are right Tim, its full of Poly dust! I wonder who else carries the Morning Glory Brand?

Thanks for the report. I guess I'm gonna throw out the whole batch.

Tim