PDA

View Full Version : An aquarium is just a glass box.

B-O-F
11-14-2007, 05:09 AM
Or is it ?

If you were to start from scratch, building your own tanks, what woould you put in them - how would you design them ?

( designing my new fish room.... might as well be inventive !!! )

pcsb23
11-14-2007, 08:04 AM
To be honest, as little as possible :) I'd try and find a way to have no brace bars and definitely no sharp edges! That way easy to clean and work on and in.

brewmaster15
11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
If you were to start from scratch, building your own tanks, what woould you put in them - how would you design them ?

I'd go Taller...

I'd love to have a group of tanks or at least one that is very tall... maybe 4 feet wide X 3 feet deep by 6-7 Feet tall.:D
and in it... a buttressed Tree stump...tannin waters and slightly sanded bottom...

The amazon in the rainy season look.:) I think it would be very interesting to try and mimic that low water high water periodic change in a tank and observe the fishes behavior.

-al

Kindredspirit
11-14-2007, 08:51 AM
The amazon in the rainy season look.:)

-al

I would love to see a picture of a tank that looks like this!

tpl*co
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I'd go Taller...

I'd love to have a group of tanks or at least one that is very tall... maybe 4 feet wide X 3 feet deep by 6-7 Feet tall.:D
and in it... a buttressed Tree stump...tannin waters and slightly sanded bottom...

The amazon in the rainy season look.:) I think it would be very interesting to try and mimic that low water high water periodic change in a tank and observe the fishes behavior.

-al

OHHHH, I'm invisioning a giant paladarium (Or a tank with both underwater and above water tanks), with a rain water change feature!

Tina

B-O-F
11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I'd go Taller...

-al

:)
The lengths you are going to go to to get your Heckals to breed ?

C_of_Discus
11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Well I have been thinking about this myself.

I think if you could build a tank that had a hole in the bottom and maybe even sloped sides. Imaging a water bottle on a water cooler.

You could than hook up a pump to drain all the water or just gravity, then all the waste could be removed very easy.

Maybe a flat kind of screen over it to enable you to add gravel and make the bottom flat like a plastic plate with holes be for the funnel type bottom.

The filter could be attached to the bottom funnel. Only issue if you had too strong of a current you would have fish stuck to the bottom ;)

brewmaster15
11-14-2007, 12:18 PM
The lengths you are going to go to to get your Heckals to breed ?;)yep

Tropical Haven
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I would like to make mine U shaped with my recliner that fits right inside it. :D

B-O-F
11-15-2007, 03:09 AM
I would like to make mine U shaped with my recliner that fits right inside it. :D

That is more or less the plan :) the room is 18ft X 11 ft so fairy deep tanks down two sides and across the bottom to form a 'U' woth me sat in the middle watching :)

brewmaster15
11-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Please remember to take many pics documenting the Journey for all here to enjoy!:)

-al

B-O-F
11-15-2007, 06:32 AM
Please remember to take many pics documenting the Journey for all here to enjoy!:)

-al

Seems fair. I have spent loads of time on here looking at other peoples :)

forrest
11-15-2007, 09:22 AM
hi BOF,
i just got my new adition tanks set up.some pic for ur reference.
im not sure how often ppl at ur country doing custom made tank.mine here r tanks that dont use any rack at all,they r 2 tier n the bottom tier deck up the top one.

rgds,
forrest.

Tropical Haven
11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Very unique looking setup, looks like your supports are actually the sides of all of your tanks as one piece.

forrest
11-15-2007, 11:17 AM
hi scott,
u r right,the tanks r suppurted by the side glasses,they r thicker then the others as 10mm glass.they r actually 2 pcs in a set(top n bottom).

rgds,
forrest.

Green Country Discus
11-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Forest, cool set-up. Are you doing WCs or do you normally keep your tanks low? If so why?

Kenny's Discus
11-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Forrest, I'm really impressed by your new additional tanks' setup...the trim-less tanks really stand out, and the "stand-less" stand are not too bad either LOL!:D

Joking aside, the overall design is very unique and eye-catching. Can you build me a set like that?:)

Kenny

forrest
11-16-2007, 08:19 AM
kenny,
no problem for building u one or two set of those,shipping cost will be in ur account,lol.

andrew,
yup i doing water change,the idea of the system allowed me to drain off a few tanks at once with out guilding them.it is actually a simple idea using the "over flow" pvc pipe.i ve made a few holes 2-3" from the top of the overflow pvc,i turn the pvc pipe up side down while i doing WC n the water will drain off slowly by itself.i ve found that it works extremely good for grow out tanks.

rgds,
forrest.

B-O-F
11-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Hey Forrest - that is an intrigueing looking setup. If the same piece of glass forms the sides for both tanks how is the bottom of the top tank attached ? I wouldn't have imagined silicon sealer holding the weight.

stevebris
11-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Wow Forrest! What a unique idea!

I love it. :D

Are the black balls floats for a drip system?

alxjss
11-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Real nice;)

Jhill
11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
I would love to see a picture of a tank that looks like this!

Something like this?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5InNVJ_Ythc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s81goz-uxU&feature=related
A Friend in discus