PDA

View Full Version : Aqua one 620T

zigster999
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi all from a newbie would-be discus keeper.

My lady :angel: has ordered me an Aqua One 620T aquarium so I can start keeping tropical fish. Have liked discus for years so of course that's what I'd like to keep. The aquarium holds 130 litres and is a tall tank, 62cm by 39cm by 72cm. Built-in trickle filter. My intention is to keep discus plus a small school of cardinal tetras and a couple of bristlenose catfish for cleaning duties.

One LFS I visited yesterday thought I'd be able to keep 5 fairly comfortably as the tank is deep enough. He also recommended 30% water change per week. My lady would like 3 or 5 as they are good feng shui numbers.

Is the LFS right? Can the tank accommodate 5 comfortably?

Thanks in advance
Zig

devonpond
11-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Your tank holds 174 liters or 46 US gallons.

5 adult discus are OK as long as the water quality is excellent. I would suggest far more frequent water changes than the LFS says if you are trying to grow out juvenile discus. Once they are adults, you could cut back on the water changes.

davidinsarasota
11-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm new to Devon, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If I were you I would start with 3 and about a dozen neon tetras. It is easier and more fun to add a couple of discus than to have to remove. 4 should be an option too, I agree on the three's and fives things, but I have 4 of several species in my community tank--it just happens to be the best quantity so that they have companions, but are not crowded.

I googled that 620T, beautiful rig. Is it 135L or 174L?
My Marineland Eclipses are a similar configuration, with everything in the hood, but they are a bit more pedestrian looking.

zigster999
11-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Thanks Devon and thanks David.

The 620T is 139litre according to the brochure, so 34 US gallons. At 10 gallons per fish, that's 3 and a bit rounded out to 4. The tank will be planted as well though no CO2 additions, but I will add a small air stone.

Would extra filtration help? Adding an external Eheim as well as the inbuilt trickle filter of the tank? :confused:

devonpond
11-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Your tank holds 174 liters or 46 US gallons.

This calculation was based on the dimensions provided in the original post. However, it appears that the manufacturer is providing these dimensions to include the hood on top! Thus the manufacturer supplied volume of 130L or 34 US gallons is the answer.

In that case, with plants & other community fish I'd say 3 discus is your upper limit.

greyhoundfan
11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
First start off with good discus. Adults would be better.

I'm guessing you're from Australia?? Dan Burgess- A1 Aquarium is a sponsor on this board from Australia.. can't go wrong with his discus.

Peachtree Discus
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I had bad experiences with only 3 discus. With the "pecking order" I would always end up with the little guy being stunted. However, I had only discus in the tank...i'm not sure how the tetras would affect their territorial behavior.

zigster999
11-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Thanks again people. Looks like 4 is the go and I will see how I fare from there. :balloon: But will go for the bigger ones from the start as recommended and cross the old fingers. ;)

I wouldn't mind dropping in on A1 Aquariums but they are about 1900 kilometres away, so maybe not. However there are a number of good LFSs (judging by health of fish and cleanliness of tanks) here in Adelaide so will buy local.

If IU need more help I know exactly where to come :)