PDA

View Full Version : Do they know when to quit eating?

davidinsarasota
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
My juvenile Red/Turquoise keep tearing the bloodworms out of my fingers even though this is about the 6th or 8th time in a day when I have fed them about a frozen fish cube's worth of food. Their belly's look full, no they are not constipated--they are slim in the mornings.

Will they quit when they have had enough, or will they eat until they make themselves sick? I'm not worried about the food load on the water--I vac and change H20 every other day.

Elite Aquaria
11-20-2007, 01:33 AM
David,

Sometimes I wounder. I just keep feeding and feeding. After a while you will see that they slow down because they are so full...:D Nice to see another Florida hobbyist.

AADiscus
11-20-2007, 09:25 AM
IMO they will eat, eat and eat some more. Once they get so full they are miserable. I have read where people have feed CBW until there fish was so full he did get sick. I recommend once you see a nice little bump in there bellies they are full and stop feeding. I like to give little feedings thru out the day to keep them enticed for food.

Don Trinko
11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
If they like it enough (CBW) they will eat WAY to much. Limit the feeding of these foods. Don T.

davidinsarasota
11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks all. Beautiful orchids, discus and ponds Angela. Are you an east coaster Dan?

C_of_Discus
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Definitely you can over feed causing a whole bunch of problems.

I would limit what they eat. Better under feed than over some people even have one day that they let them fast.
People that say you eat like a pig have never owned fish
:D

Don Trinko
11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I am in NW Ohio. Don T.