PDA

View Full Version : My Planted Tank.

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2007, 05:36 AM
My planted tank and sorry no discus. The tank measures 72Lx24wx30h.
Light is a 6' Coralife

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/0000IMG_7905.jpg

pcsb23
11-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Very nice Dan.

tgirl6868
11-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Question? how do you clean a planted tank? how do you siphon and clean the bottom of your tank where the plants are?

Kindredspirit
11-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I think you should give that to me, Dan! I love that tank so much ~ you should be very proud!

I would be very proud if I had it.:D That little pathway is so cool ~ leaves a lot to the imagination! This tank ~ one could sit in front of for hours....

How big is this tank?

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Very nice Dan.

Thank you sir Paulie.

Question? how do you clean a planted tank? how do you siphon and clean the bottom of your tank where the plants are?

Hi tgirl,
The substrate is never vacuumed. I change 50% of the water once a week, clean the glass and trim plants that are overgrown.
The stocking density is low in this planted tank.

I think you should give that to me, Dan! I love that tank so much ~ you should be very proud!

I would be very proud if I had it.:D That little pathway is so cool ~ leaves a lot to the imagination! This tank ~ one could sit in front of for hours....

How big is this tank?

Thank you my dear friend. If you lived close by I could help set you up. This tank is 225 gallons. It's located in my home office and i do stare at it all day long.:)

I have another one that i will be setting up. It measures 96Lx 24wx20H. 200 gallons.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/0000blacktank.jpg

Kindredspirit
11-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Thank you my dear friend. If you lived close by I could help set you up. This tank is 225 gallons. It's located in my home office and i do stare at it all day long.:)

I have another one that i will be setting up. It measures 96Lx 24wx20H. 200 gallons.

Oh my gosh, Dan! How cool would that be I ask you? You would be so sick of me! It really is 225 gallons? Wow! I just love it ~ one of the nicest planted tanks I have ever seen on here ~

....and that little pathway.......:alien:

Can not wait til you have the other one completed! I am so glad you are back.:)

architect1
11-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Wow love your set up, its nicly planted and your angels are so cute. nice work hope to see it with discus some day lol.

GrillMaster
11-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Very nice scape Dan!! Cant wait to see the 225 set up... Looks like it will be amazing with the wood you have in there now.

tc
Mark

tacks
11-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Dan you have a great looking tank there. I wish I had the room for something that big. A nice landscaping job there, adds a lot ofdepth to the tank.Thanks for sharing Ed

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh my gosh, Dan! How cool would that be I ask you? You would be so sick of me! It really is 225 gallons? Wow! I just love it ~ one of the nicest planted tanks I have ever seen on here ~

....and that little pathway.......:alien:

Can not wait til you have the other one completed! I am so glad you are back.:)

Thank you so much for your compliment Marie. I am fortunate to belong to a planted tank club here in Houston. I get all my plants are all free.

Wow love your set up, its nicly planted and your angels are so cute. nice work hope to see it with discus some day lol.

I had discus in this tank but sold them all before i went on vacation.:(
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/000plantedIMG_4535-1.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/IMG_4776.jpg

Very nice scape Dan!! Cant wait to see the 225 set up... Looks like it will be amazing with the wood you have in there now.

tc
Mark

Thank you Mark. I'm still gathering all the equipment to put it together.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/00IMG_7129.jpg

Dan you have a great looking tank there. I wish I had the room for something that big. A nice landscaping job there, adds a lot ofdepth to the tank.Thanks for sharing Ed

Thank you Ed.

tgirl6868
11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
VERY!VERYVERY! Nice looking tank. i was thinking of turning my tank into a planted tank. And thank you for the feed back.

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2007, 09:30 PM
VERY!VERYVERY! Nice looking tank. i was thinking of turning my tank into a planted tank. And thank you for the feed back.

Thank you Tgirl.

This is what the tank looked like several months ago.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/00000IMG_6831-1.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/00000IMG_6837-1.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/00000IMG_6832-1.jpg

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
This is my other planted tank. This measure 60x24x24. 110 gallons. This tank does not have Co2. This tank is in my garage. I throw all the leftover plants in it and do waterchange whenever. This not advisable.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/0000plantedIMG_0861.jpg

This tank at one time had discus as well. Unfortunately fish comes and go in my place.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/00000000IMG_2197-1.jpg

C_of_Discus
11-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow very Nice,

I have my 90 planted and have some baby Discus in it. Did you raise your Discus from babies or buy them as Adults?
I have heard that you can't grow nice discus like you have pictured in your tank and was wondering what you have to say on this topic?

Thanks,

Tim

GulfCoastDiscus
11-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Wow very Nice,

I have my 90 planted and have some baby Discus in it. Did you raise your Discus from babies or buy them as Adults?
I have heard that you can't grow nice discus like you have pictured in your tank and was wondering what you have to say on this topic?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,
I agree with that statement. I grew these in a barebottom tank. I also supply discus to aquarium installers and I seen discus not get passed 5" in size in planted tank. It's best to get adults.
Adults requires less feeding, waterchange and are more resistant to diseases.

Sorry Tim if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Wahter
11-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Dan,

Your tanks (past and present) look nice, but the current one is missing some discus! ;)

Hope all is well.

Walter

GulfCoastDiscus
11-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Dan,

Your tanks (past and present) look nice, but the current one is missing some discus! ;)

Hope all is well.

Walter

Hello sir,
Thank you Walter. Nice to see you're still around my friend. Your planted tank is an inspiration to me as well as the Senske at ADG and Luis Navarro. I supply discus to ADG locally and their planted tanks will inspire anyone. I keep a banner link to your site on my webpage for the people that wants to set up a discus tank. I will set up another tank for a group of discus next.
The current planted tank have too many cool water stem plants that does not tolerate high discus temperature.

Respectfully,
daniel

tgirl6868
11-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Dan,
The long grassy like plant in the back wth is the name of that. Do you have any type of firn in there? or can you please give me the name of plants you have in your tank if you dont mind?

Tamara

GulfCoastDiscus
11-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Dan,
The long grassy like plant in the back wth is the name of that. Do you have any type of firn in there? or can you please give me the name of plants you have in your tank if you dont mind?

Tamara

Hi Tamara,
The long grassy plants are Vallesnaria. I'm not well verse on the names of the plants. Let me know which tank you're refering to and i will try to provide you the names.:)

tgirl6868
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
the last pic's with the Discus.

Volenti
11-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Very nice tanks, I love the shots of the angels all strung out in a big line.

Kindredspirit
11-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Nice, Dan!

But ~

Not as nice as "The Pathway".......:D:D

C_of_Discus
11-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Tim,
I agree with that statement. I grew these in a barebottom tank. I also supply discus to aquarium installers and I seen discus not get passed 5" in size in planted tank. It's best to get adults.
Adults requires less feeding, waterchange and are more resistant to diseases.

Sorry Tim if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Well I just wanted the truth and thanks. I used to grow them out in bb tanks. I just want a nice display tank so I think I will go with Adults. But half the fun is growing them up.

Thanks for the information.

poconogal
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM

How big is this tank?
Yeah, everything that Marie said. 225 gals, wow would I love that! I love that little pathway, too!

GulfCoastDiscus
11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Nice, Dan!

But ~

Not as nice as "The Pathway".......:D:D
Thanks again Marie.

Yeah, everything that Marie said. 225 gals, wow would I love that! I love that little pathway, too!
Thank you Connie.

Dolphin Dip
11-26-2007, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=GulfCoastDiscus;423187]This is my other planted tank. This measure 60x24x24. 110 gallons. This tank does not have Co2. This tank is in my garage. I throw all the leftover plants in it and do waterchange whenever. This not advisable.

haha...
how can you have such an amazing looking "garage" tank, and tell people it's not advisable? who wouldn't try to replicate low teech success?!:D

GulfCoastDiscus
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
[quote=GulfCoastDiscus;423187]This is my other planted tank. This measure 60x24x24. 110 gallons. This tank does not have Co2. This tank is in my garage. I throw all the leftover plants in it and do waterchange whenever. This not advisable.

haha...
how can you have such an amazing looking "garage" tank, and tell people it's not advisable? who wouldn't try to replicate low teech success?!:D

It does seem ironic.:)
Balancing light, nutrient and no or lack of co2 is not an easy thing. I am just lucky on this tank. Usually with this kind of set up only grows algae and frustrations.:(

cranford
12-04-2007, 07:17 PM

from what i´ve read you dont clean it, its good for the plants