PDA

View Full Version : sake ph

bearcat
11-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi: Everyone this is my first post ,but I have to tell you ,you guys and gals are great. My question is, my ph is 7.7 out of the tap but after a day in my storage tank it goes to 8.1 or 8.2.rest of the numbers are as follows gh 20, kh 80, nit 0, nitrate 1-5 amm-0 temp 83.6.
I will be getting some discus shortly, will this water be o.k.or do I have to adjust my p.h level.After reading simply discus for the past 4 months it seems that the most important thing is to keep the ph stable and don't chase it.

Thanks
Rick

Tropical Haven
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
After reading simply discus for the past 4 months it seems that the most important thing is to keep the ph stable and don't chase it.

Thanks
Rick

Rick you are absolutely right!! Your PH will be fine for discus. The only time you need to adjust the PH is if you have a breeding pair and want to breed them then the best way to adjust it to keep it stable is with an RO unit. By the way welcome to Simply Discus.

bearcat
11-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks Scott
I was not sure, these is great news ,one other thing is will it effect the growth of the fish.
Also how can I acclimatize new discus to this ph ,like if they come from water that is 7.5,do I first take my tank to 7.5,then with water changes allow it to raise gentle to the 8.2?
Rick

Tropical Haven
11-28-2007, 12:27 AM
No this will not effect the growth of your fish, what you feed them and how many times a day along with frequent water changes will effect the growth of your fish.

You do not need to adjust the PH to introduce your fish, just make sure the water they are in is the same as your tank before you release them into your tank.

FishLover888
11-28-2007, 11:56 AM
It is normal for pH to increase after the CO2 aired out.

In your case, to keep the pH stable, you need to age your water. Which means put the tap water in a storage can, treat it with Prime and let it sit at least 24 hours with an air stone running (be careful of the air stone you use, some will increase you pH). Heat it up to the tank temp before you do the water change.

It's added work but your discus will thank you for it. Otherwise, you will have a pH swing each time you do the water change, unless you are doing multiple WCs per day.

Kkenny
11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
If some airstones increase your PH what kind of airstones should be used?

Graham
11-28-2007, 02:40 PM
The type of airstone has nothing to do with it...a water pump/powerhead will accomplish the same thing.....it's the agitation that gasses off CO2 or chlorine

FishLover888
11-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I found out the sandy type is not to be used. You can use a cerimic one that is inert.

Most sand type of air stone is not inert.

Graham
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
:confused::confused:Sand type airstones are are made out of silca and silca is inert. Unless the stone was made out of calcium carbonate and none of them are, no airstone has an affect on pH. Even then the amount of material in a stone would have no effect on water chemistry

Even the resins that they are held togeher with, are inert

bearcat
11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks Guys
I am using a powerhead as well as an air stone in my aging container so this should be o.k. ,but I live in Canada and I can't find the conditioner prime you mention ,is there something else I can use.
Rick:

2sybs
11-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks Guys
I am using a powerhead as well as an air stone in my aging container so this should be o.k. ,but I live in Canada and I can't find the conditioner prime you mention ,is there something else I can use.
Rick:

I would imagine this place ships to Canada.
http://63.240.30.172/pet/group/11638/product.web
And they have very reasonable prices.
Ray