PDA

View Full Version : another qt tank?

andy81
11-28-2007, 10:23 PM
didnt want to pirate anybody elses thread, i have a 29 gal that i am about to empty out. i would like to use it for a qt tank, could i safely put 3-5, 2-3in discus in there for 4 - 6 weeks. i would plan on doing a 50 -75% water change 3x a week. would this work, or what would i need to change/ thanks in advance.

Tropical Haven
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
As long as you keep up with your water changes you should be fine with that setup. Just make sure your filter in that tank is fully cycled before adding fish.

andy81
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
oh, the tank is established and has been for almost 2 years. in there now i have a few neons, as well as a few black neons and a guorami. i was thinking about moving them from the 29 to the 125 with the 5 discus i have now. right before i get more discus, so it will be cycled and ready to roll. ty.

Harriett
11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd take the rest of the fish out of the 29 for sure, and clean the tank well. I think you could QT 3-5 2-3" discus in there just fine. Remember that baby discus do better and feel more secure in groups, so get 5 rather than 3 if possible. 75% 3x wk is ok to start [you will get better growth if you could do 75% a day for that size tank, IMO] but keep a close eye on the water quality. At that age/size you would optimally be feeding 5-6 x day and the water will be compromised more quickly as they grow. I'd do at least a 6 week QT to ensure your investment.
Best regards
Harriett