PDA

View Full Version : introducing of FLAMINGO

forrest
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm here to introduce my own breed, Flamingo to you simply members.

This strain is a spin off from the all time popular Red Golden Diamond. Years before, it was crossed with Super Melon for 2 very important reasons. First, it was to strengthen the genetic bloodline of the RGD. Second, it was also to improve the size and shape of the strain. In these years of crossing, it has always been crossed back to a RGD to improve on the overall appearance of the fish. In view that there was a need to differentiate this strain from the RGD, the name ‘Flamingo’ was given by Jeffrey Yang......

thanks Jeff for giving the fish such a beautiful name.

Now in my hands and under my own breeding program, I have successfully arrive at the third filial generation of this strain, with noticeable improvement on the "cleanliness" of the fish. It is totally free of black specks around the mouth n fins at their current size of 2.5". Since this F3 generation is my latest crossing, I cannot say for sure as how exactly they will turn out, but they are so clean looking that they resemble the looks of the Red Golden Diamond. Some of the most discerning discus critique might not even be able to tell them apart when put together side by side. Lastly, this trait can be observed among the whole batch, and not just one or two specimens.

best rgds,
forrest.

forrest
12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
fishes in the photo r going to kenny's discus soon.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60695

forrest
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
some close up pics.

Kenny's Discus
12-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Forrest, thanks so much for the detailed description of your new, beautiful red strain. Improving an existing line is what breeders should do and both of you gentlemen are doing an extraordinary job!:thumbsup:

I wish you both, Forrest and Jeffrey, the very best in creating new exciting new strains for us in the near future. Forrest, I can't wait to receive your Flamingos!:)

Kenny

Tropical Haven
12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Very nice looking discus, Kenny must be smiling from ear to ear right now.

seanyuki
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM

This strain is a spin off from the all time popular Red Golden Diamond. Years before, it was crossed with Super Melon for 2 very important reasons. First, it was to strengthen the genetic bloodline of the RGD. Second, it was also to improve the size and shape of the strain. In these years of crossing, it has always been crossed back to a RGD to improve on the overall appearance of the fish. In view that there was a need to differentiate this strain from the RGD, the name ‘Flamingo’ was given by Jeffrey Yang......

Now in my hands and under my own breeding program, I have successfully arrive at the third filial generation of this strain, with noticeable improvement on the "cleanliness" of the fish. It is totally free of black specks around the mouth n fins at their current size of 2.5". Since this F3 generation is my latest crossing, I cannot say for sure as how exactly they will turn out, but they are so clean looking that they resemble the looks of the Red Golden Diamond. Some of the most discerning discus critique might not even be able to tell them apart when put together side by side. Lastly, this trait can be observed among the whole batch, and not just one or two specimens.

best rgds,
forrest.

Forrest,
Good looking and nice colors

Cheers
Francis

Discus_KC
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Forrest,

It's great to see you working on this strain and realizing that you wanted to make it even better.

Very refreshing,

Jack

poconogal
12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
They look beautiful!

brewmaster15
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Forrest,
Very very Nice work! Hats off to both you and Jeffrey Yang!:)

This does pose a problem for people like me though that very badly need to cut back on their collection... :( Seeing fish like these makes me want to add another Tank;):D:D:D:D

-al

alxjss
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
stunning!!!

Darren's Discus
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Forrest,
where's my flamingo's ???? very nice.

cheers

Todaydiscus
12-05-2007, 04:41 AM

best rgds,
forrest.

Hi, forrest, nice fish , also thank Jeffrey Yang to give a such nice name to this fish. :)
There is someone selling this on the market, is it from you or jeffrey :)? or the bloodline from anyone of you?
Too bad, do not have space to keep it as collection.

Elite Aquaria
12-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Forrest,

Those are some very nice looking reds you have. Great details on the pictures also. Thanks for sharing.

forrest
12-05-2007, 06:28 AM
hi Kenny,
thank u for ur support.im sure that u going to send those flamingo to some good home.

Tropical heaven , Ponocogal, Alxjss n Seanyuki,
thx for ur kind of words,i appreciate it.

Jack,
as a breeder,to refine a strain is our job.im trying on a few strains,some works n some not.
Jack my friend, hope u doing well on ur breeding programme too.

haha Al,
thank for ur positive commend especial from an expert like u,it is something that motivates us.
i dont think u need a tank..........but another room.so u will only have no worry b4 the new room get full of fishes again,lol.

hey Darren,
i ve kept some for u n send them in near future,cheers.

best rgds,
forrest.

forrest
12-05-2007, 06:34 AM
hi Ng (todaydiscus),
how r u?it's been a while since we last met.im sorry that i nearly miss ur post when i reply on this thread.

do u mean Bob Garside in Canada is selling them?yes,i did send a small batch to Bob sometime ago n he was the only one i sent b4 this.Kenny going to be the next to recieve them.

best rgds,
forrest.

goikip
12-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Dear forrest,

Nice awesome red you have there. For sure these will grow up to be nice fishes. The black spec are almost gone. keep me update on them. I would like to get them some from you.

Regards,
Kippy

ping
12-05-2007, 10:25 AM
very nice Forrest. Any pictures of big ones ?

Ronny

Dolphin Dip
12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Forrest,
Very very Nice work! Hats off to both you and Jeffrey Yang!:)

This does pose a problem for people like me though that very badly need to cut back on their collection... :( Seeing fish like these makes me want to add another Tank;):D:D:D:D

-al

speaking of which, i just pmed you.

VerSus13
12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Forrest,

Thank you for sharing the info and nice pictures about the Flamingo..Awesome crossing!! Certainly looked like RGDs

Rgds
Kevin

VL67
12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Forrest,

Super looking new red strain!:D Great bio and picture references of this strain as well.:D:D Awesome job!

Regards,

Vince

tonymaccs
12-16-2007, 06:57 AM
I was lucky enough to acquire some of these recently. The pink/peach/red colour spectrum is very reminiscent of the Flamingo bird and much more noticeable than what shows in the above photos and they have very nicely shaped dorsal and anal fin profiles.
Great work!
Tony

BSW
12-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Beautiful fish Forrest -
Very nice color,
Great Job ! As always -
B

Fishgirl
01-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi There Forrest,

These fish you have been growing up,arnt they just rgds as the have no difference from the previous rgds bred from others around you.
To me the only reason these fish are pink is because of the carophyll pink in them.
And are you trying to say that astaxanthin colors ur fish up that much?comon mate theres no way they get that red from it.
So you are also saying that whenever someone gets to a 3rd generation of their breeding they can rename the fish?

Thanks

forrest
01-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Hi There Forrest,

These fish you have been growing up,arnt they just rgds as the have no difference from the previous rgds bred from others around you.
To me the only reason these fish are pink is because of the carophyll pink in them.
And are you trying to say that astaxanthin colors ur fish up that much?comon mate theres no way they get that red from it.
So you are also saying that whenever someone gets to a 3rd generation of their breeding they can rename the fish?

Thanks

Hi Fishgirl,

Thanks for giving the Flamingos F3 such high credits for the their close resemblence of the Red Golden Diamonds; compliments such as yours is a good motivation for us breeders who are putting our effort in creating or improving a nicer discus strains.as i mention on the very first post ofthis thread,they r a cross of a super melon n RGD.means,this strain is a pigeon base fish BUT they don't exhibit any peppering at their current size of 2.5"-3"at all.

As regard to the use of carophyll pink, in some circumstances there is indeed a need to use carophyll pink for grading certain strains. This will also ensure the quality of fish being sent to others. BUT IN THIS CASE,I did not use carophyll pink on them but astaxanthin.as the color of those fishes,do u think that they r too artificial?

I did explain to your carophyll pink questions already and I was expecting your reply:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60619&page=2

Again, exactly what makes u think that those fishes have been fed with carophyll pink? Again, does any part of body on the fishes that show the fishes has been colored with carophyll pink?

best rgds,
forrest.

Elite Aquaria
01-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi There Forrest,

Thanks

Fishgirl,

I feel that whenever a breeder crosses two distinctly different lines and the line has been set for a few generations that they can give the fish a new name. He mentions that the line was a cross between a PB and a RGD by another breeder...

This is the second post that you accuse Forrest of using carophyll pink...Unless you have any hard facts I suggest that the mud slinging stop. Why do you think that carophyll pink was used on these fish. I have some 2.5 inch Red Melons that are only feed astaxanthin do you think these are fed with carophyll pink also?

White Sun
01-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Is it possible to see the picture of the parent?

Or othre Adult flamingo?

Thanks, and good job Forrest

dpt8
01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Dan, Good job yourself :9) Those two fish look like my gold melons.. Do you breed these also?? Great job Forrest... David T

t_j
01-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Forrest, vary nice I love the shape and the red in them is vary nice great job on these guys would love to see one in my tank!!!!:D

Elite Aquaria
01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Dan, Good job yourself :9) Those two fish look like my gold melons.. Do you breed these also?? Great job Forrest... David T

Forrest, Sorry to hijack your thread...

dpt8, Yes I bred these...I have about 100+ growing up and will have some ready by the end of this month.

forrest
01-23-2008, 10:26 PM
hi all,
thanks all for ur kind of words.

hi Dan,
no problem at all i mean it.i take it as a kind of support to me as well,thx.

best rgds,
forrest.

deepflyball
02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
what color will there face be when done growing??? how big do they get??? Got some from Kenny and love them. Forest,Sir you made a great fish. jerry

deepflyball
02-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Have you any adult pictures???? Thanks Jerry

pinoysport
02-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I picked some of these up from Kenny in Jan 10... I love these .. they are really nice... red with a pinkish hue hence the flamingo name.