PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have one food choice for your discus?

Rogerthedodger
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I have been told that a varied diet is best for discus. What I'm wondering is ....what is the BEST food to feed them?

So.....If you could only feed your discus one food....what would it be and why?

White Worm
12-04-2007, 07:30 PM
If I could only have one, it would be Hikari frozen blood worms. It would provide everything for good healthy growth without parasites. Most discus will eat it happily....even picky ones :mad:

Hans Kloss
12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Freshwater shrimps "crystal red" ;). A little expensive food (3$ each) but my discus like it so much....
More seriously it will be salmon meat. I fed my discus with salmon during long months with no adverse effect and good youngsters growth.
Hans

Elite Aquaria
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
If cost is not a factor...then I would want to feed my fish live california black worms all the time...:D

brewmaster15
12-04-2007, 08:40 PM
My seafood mix...

-al

alpine
12-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I would find the best and most balance Flake food !

roberto.

Tropical Haven
12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I would feed red wigglers.

ShinShin
12-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Seafood mix

Discus-Hans
12-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Discus Hans Food Mix lol

Hans

troyclark
12-06-2007, 10:35 AM
I would have to say if I could only feed one type of food it would be TetraColor Bits.

kaceyo
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
My shrimp/BH mix.

Kacey

Dolphin Dip
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
i'd soak tubifex worms in garlic. i've never seen any fish go as nuts as my discus when they see a cube of tubifex worms. they're like little sharks.

Ed Hengel
12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
My seafood mix...

-al

And what might that be?

RyanH
12-06-2007, 12:26 PM
In a perfect world it would be a nutritious but mess-free flake food.:)

Apistomaster
12-07-2007, 03:09 PM
If only one food, then I would use my beef heart blend but it contains other ingredients. I include the following in my mix. Freeze dried Cyclop-Eeze, Spirulina powder, Freeze dried blood worms, VitaChem and Earthworm flakes.

No single food contains all the nutrients discus require for proper development and good colors. A well balanced beef heart blend comes closer than most foods to meeting all the dietary requirements of Discus.

As difficult as it is the exactly reproduce their natural foods I don't see why anyone would restrict the diet of their discus to just one food.

bgbdwlf2500
12-09-2007, 10:37 PM
If cost is not a factor...then I would want to feed my fish live california black worms all the time...:D

this is what i do

and IMO, this varied diet stuff is BS... they dont get cyclop eeze, tetra bits, spirulina etc in the wild....if they needed that stuff they wouldnt exist in the wild

Apistomaster
12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
The stomach analysis of wild discus points to the fact they do indeed consume organisms like CyclopEeze and Spirulina. We just don't have access to exact organisms, terrestrial plants and insects they normally feed on and the best we can do is simulate their diets with similar foods.
About 50% of the diet of wild discus consists of benthic detritus containing a variety of microrganisms and inedible debris.
See the results of hundreds of stomach content analysis of wild discus in, Bleher's Discus Vol. 1, 2006.
Wild discus will feed on the most abundant food source on a seasonal basis but none of them are waiting around for someone to feed them Ocean Nutrition flakes.
There is no single food available to us that can meet the nutritional needs of Discus. A varied diet is the soundest strategy for assuring their dietary needs are met.