PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle nitrite spike question

wilddiscuss
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I have been looking over my notes and what not....but I can't even seem to find the answer to my question by searching the forums. My question is.... where do I want to keep my ammonia at while my nitrite spikes? Do I want to still keep it between 3-6 ppm? Please let me know. Thanks for your time!

Todd

dishpanhands
12-10-2007, 05:29 AM
You need to put ammonia in your tank every other day after you get nitrites and don't let your nitrites get too high. if they do you will need to do a large WC. Once your nitrites reach 0 then change all your water and add fish..HTH

dishpanhands
12-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Just wanted to add that I think a better name for what you are doing is "fishless seeding" of the filter the filter won't fully cycle untill you have the fish in it and the ammonia and nitrite spike again and the filter has time to grow to fit the fish you will need to monitor the spike and do large WC to keep the fish out of stress.

wilddiscuss
12-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Just wanted to add that I think a better name for what you are doing is "fishless seeding" of the filter the filter won't fully cycle untill you have the fish in it and the ammonia and nitrite spike again and the filter has time to grow to fit the fish you will need to monitor the spike and do large WC to keep the fish out of stress.

Ok I will keep an eye on it when I add the fish. I have 5 that will be on the way. Thanks so much!

Todd