PDA

View Full Version : OZONE

pete321
12-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Can anyone advise me about OZONE for my central system of about 1000 gal to reduce water changes. Is this the same effect as an ionizer?

Thanks

Pete

pete321
08-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Any ideas would be welcome.

Rod
08-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi Pete,

Ozone can greatly reduce the need for water changes as it will oxidize organic matter. In addition it will increase disolved oxygen content. Drawbacks are huge expense as you should really set it with with a redox potentiometer (spelling d'oh), a seperate vessel to perform the oxidation process and some sort of ga carbon filter to remove any ozone which may find its way into a tank containing fish or a filter containing bacteria. (it will kill them just as fast as it reduces organic matter). It is also dangerous for people, so great care must be taken so excess ozone is not released into your fish house where you might breath it in.

Ozone i believe will be the way of the future for us fish keepers, at the moment however a good setup is insanely expensive and generally only used in sophisticated professional hatcheries under intensive culture and public aquaria. There is an awesome ozone filtering setup used in the reef swimming pool at one of the hotels on the gold coast which i have seen, the guy who set it up is a friend of mine and he told me $100,000 just for the ozone generator. Off course you won't need one quite that big, but the cost is still the main drawback at this time.

hth

pete321
08-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks.
There are a few guys on TAF2 (tropical angel fish forum 2) who use it in their central systems. I was hoping there would be more people on this forum who were using it and could share their experiences.
Pete

Georgios48
12-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Ionizer has nothing to do with ozone.
I have used a Red Sea ozonizer for many years without any side effects. The water was crystal clear as in saltwater aquariums. The problem is that you have to find a reactor to dissolve ozone in freshwater. You may not use a skimmer because freshwater bubbles are very big to work like the tinny saltwater bubbles. I attach two photos for the reactor and the entire system I have used in the past.

Can anyone advise me about OZONE for my central system of about 1000 gal to reduce water changes. Is this the same effect as an ionizer?

Thanks

Pete

pete321
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks
Does anyone else have ozone on a central system?

steve b
12-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I too am looking at Ozone but the best I can see is made by Schuran and very expensive! Georgios that reactor looks like a 10" filter pod/canister?
any photos of it in use?

Georgios48
01-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Steve,
Yes it is an upside-down filter canister transformed to a reactor by a company in the US. I don't think they sell it any more. Unfortunately I do not have any photo. The problem was that the air pump was working continuously under pressure (1.5 at) resulting damaging of the pump in a short time.

salth20
02-05-2009, 03:31 AM
I'll look and see if I have any DIY designs. An ozone reactor is really no more than a tube filled with media, a spray attachment , a high pressure pump, and a couple of water valves. The idea is to overpressurize the reactor with ozone, keeping about an inch of water in the bottom of the reactor while spraying or dripping water over a media, like bio balls. If you do a simple closed loop out and back into the sump, it should be pretty easy. I ran one a long time ago on a salt tank. It was made by Thiel Aqua Tech. Wound up being redundant since I was skimming the heck out of it anyway. MTC is still making one, I would assume Lifereef in Colorado would also..http://www.marinetechnical.com/obj231geo70pg6p8.jpg

salth20
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/mws5f7.jpg

Here you go, from Martin Moe..
If your are using ozone, Enaly makes some fine generators with the redox controller built in. Don't forget to use ozone resistant air tubing, such as norprene for air lines.
Good luck with your project. I would really be interested, and grateful if you kept us informed.