PDA

View Full Version : fish not right

bearcat
12-16-2007, 12:53 AM
HI; everyone,this is Rick
I have purchased 9 discus from a simply discus sponsor ,they are everything I could ask for but!!!!!
They are rubbing up against the air hose in my tank ,what do you think I should so.
MY tank is a 65 gallon bb ,,ph 8.2 temp 85C A-0,N2- O. N3-1-2
gh-60 -kh 90 ,I have been doing 25 % water changes daily and have added 2 tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons of water for the past 4 days but they are still rubbing on the air hose.
They look great , good color ,eating well ,no one is hiding ,So................... what should I do.
I do not want to add meds unless I have to, any suggestions.

Thanks
Rick

ArtOfFish
12-16-2007, 01:03 AM
HHMMMMM What was the ph level of the water that the seller had them in? Might wanna try to match it if it cotinues You might have to try some meds. and read up on the disease area on the home page might have something related to the symptoms you just stated. Good luck :)

Tropical Haven
12-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Up your water changes from 25% to 50% and don't add anymore salt and see what happens after a couple of days.

White Worm
12-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Flashing is usually from some external irritation. Do a large w/c and see if the rubbing stops. Maybe 50-70%. Make sure your w/c water is similar in temp and pH. May be flukes and then you may need to research Prazi. Clean water just may do the trick. Better to start there first.

Discus-Hans
12-16-2007, 01:44 AM
How old/size are those Discus? How long do you've them???

Hans

bearcat
12-16-2007, 01:46 AM
The ph was 7.8 for the supplier so to go to 8.2 is not that great a jump.
O.K. Scott do you think I should stop with the salt and just up the water changes .
So if that doesn't work what next.

Rick

bearcat
12-16-2007, 01:59 AM
I have only had them 1 week 3 red covers 4 ". 2 butterflies 4".
@ hi-fi blue 3.5 and 2 flamingo 3 ".
Again I have done a 20 to 25 % water changes since I got them,I don't want to use Praizon if I can help it.
I thought it was ick but I am not that sure now.
Just to note for filters I have sponge filter 2,150 penquin 150 ,and 304 floval ,but I did notice that the water flow on the cannister was low so I cleaned it out and it is now running great.
Thanks
Rick

White Worm
12-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Did you fully cycle the tank? Not likely ich at 85f. Clean water may just do it. Younger discus are more irritated by flukes. Did I say clean water? 20% is not much of a water change. Try more and you may see a decline in flashing/rubbing.

Don Trinko
12-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Also check amonia. , Sometimes when you add fish you get an amonia spike. It will cause similar behavier. Don T.

digthemlows
12-17-2007, 04:31 PM
isn't it 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons not 2 tablespoons of salt??

White Worm
12-18-2007, 01:47 AM
One tspn per 10g will not do much at all. 2 tbspns per 10g is more like it and that is still not a high salt level.

Harriett
12-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Get way more aggressive with your water changes--do 75% daily and see if that clears things up...let us know if they continue to flash so you can get specific information to deal with this.
Best regards
Harriett

bearcat
12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi I am back
I did a 25% water change for a few days but still didn't help,they are still flashing and rubbing against the air hose, I do not have a storage tank big enough to do a 50% change however I do a 20 to 25 % water change everyday.
They look great and eating well except for this , one has had rapid breathing since he came so i have decided to use prazipro and I have been using it for 2 day ,since I have a 65 gallon I used 3.5 teaspoons on Monday and did a 20% water change today and added 1 teaspoon to replace what was lost with the water change.
I do not understand the directions on the container as it says one treatment should last 5 to 7 days , repeat if necessary but not more than once every 3 to 5 days.(what does this mean)
But some threads I have read says the treatment should last for 21 days.
After 5 to 7 days do I start over with :confused:3.5 for another 5 to 7 day?
Could someone help .

Thanks
rick

alpine
12-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Rick, have you though of calling or emailing your supplier and asking for help. I am sure that they would lend you all the help you need .
roberto.

bearcat
12-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes i have Roberto, and he has been great but he says he uses pp
and doesn't use praz that often .
He advised me that if I was still concerned he would talk me though the pp treatment.
I was hopping that it is not that serious of a problem and could be solved with praz.
Thanks
Rick
I am a newbie to discus lots to learn!

Elite Aquaria
12-20-2007, 11:06 PM
PP is very easy to use...I would have the person help you walk through a 1 hour PP bath...It has worked for me in the past.

bearcat
12-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Hi:
I will get him to walk me though the pp bath as you suggest if need to, but should I keep trying the praz for now , to see if that helps,and how long do you think I should wait before going the pp route?
Love these little guys .
Thanks
Rick
p.s I did a 40% water change today and cleaned the tank really good and added 2 teaspoons of praz,I will let you know how I make out.

bearcat
12-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I have finished the praz treatment and they seem to be better no rubbing ,keep my finger crossed.
Thanks for your help everyone.
Rick