it looks black when all setup
do you discus hobbiest paint the back of them
or buy them from some secret lfs
if so i want in:D
cause i cant find anything bright enough
please help

renae
12-16-2007, 03:25 AM
Its allways a personal choice but a lot of people paint them,painted backgrounds arn't as shiny as the others....I personally prefer a painted background.
Renae.

White Worm
12-16-2007, 03:34 AM
The background you got will look darker when in use. Go with paint and go with a lighter color than you want because it will darken once the tank is filled. Go with light blue.

fishmama
12-16-2007, 06:43 AM
I used a combination of two very light "seafoam" greens for a textured effect. Try picking up some paint sample chips and taping them to the outside back of your tank. Look at the color thru the filled tank from the front and it will give you an idea of what it will look like once painted and under that tank's lighting.

fishmama
12-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Here are a couple pics with the green. Color choice is a preference but, stick with very light shades.

SpunkyQueen
12-16-2007, 09:56 AM
that looks very pretty with the light wood color!!! Your fish stand out very well!!

Would it matter what color fish you had? Say if you were going with many blues and greens....?

Organic Farmer
12-16-2007, 11:14 AM
One alternative is to use rigid foam insulation, the color is very simalar.Its an r3 value,also levels out the tank and you have the option of going unpainted down the road. Tom

Kindredspirit
12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I painted my tank my fav color! Periwinkle:)

( Don't add the mini blinds:o )

seanyuki
12-16-2007, 12:43 PM
In reply #5

Very nice green and very comfortable for the eyes for viewing the
fish.

Cheers
Francis;)

alan j t
12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
that green looks awesome!
did you use a sponge to paint it ?
how much paint do i need?
thank you for all the replies
i got more where they came from :D

fishmama
12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Alan-

Yes, I used a sponge for the darker green and let it dry. Then I applied two coats with a brush using the lighter green. That tank is a 30 gallon and is painted on the bottom, back and right side. Did not use much paint at all...I purchased the smallest amount available for custom tints at Lowe's which is 1 quart each color and have most of it leftover.

hth,
Lisa

alan j t
12-16-2007, 04:48 PM
you just inspired me
thank you

Eyecandy
12-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi there... Dont know if you have settled on anything yet..
My 120 has the blue insulation as background and on one side.. Not only do the discus colors show up great but it also helps with the heating bill. I've tried a variety of colors including the black.. my discus seem to come out more and be happier with the lighter colors.

Another thought... before you spend the money to buy paint... You can go to a greeting card store or Wally World and get a mixed pack of colored tissue paper... all the colors are usually light... I try out the colors that way on my 55 that I use as a qt tank. It has plants in pots and some driftwood..I just tape the tissue paper to some brown butcher paper (for body) and see what looks best with the fish. Then you have a better idea what the color in a larger amount is gonna look like and you can paint or whatever... Sometimes I just leave the paper up... I like to change the color scheme around a bit from time to time... Right now it has a light/limey green and I'm liking it with the discus... Just remember, as mentioned before, it will look different with the tank light on and full of water so be sure to test it that way and leave it up for a few days.. HTH Sue:angel::angel:

phidelt85
12-17-2007, 05:13 PM
As already stated, go with a lighter color. I made the mistake of going with black spray paint my first go round and the pigeon I had looked like a big black peppered mess and the rest were dark as well. When I changed to a very light blue they all lightened up and the peppering went away on the PB