PDA

View Full Version : Which tank for my discus

orthofish
12-17-2007, 04:38 PM
I have an empty 75G fishless cycled tank right now. It has 1 little layer of gravel(one gravel deep), driftwood, and a Eheim 2226(175G/H), and an XP3(350G/H). Two 200W heaters.

Was going to get 7-8 discus, 2.5-3". Now I think I'm going to get 9:D
Reason being, I have a 125G community tank(mostly Cichlids) I could relocate some of them to the 75G and some in my 55G at work if need be.

The 125G has been up and running x4 years. It has 2 Marineland 's
400's on it. Two 300W heaters.

My questions are, should I start the discus in the 75G until they get a bit bigger and then move them to the 125G??? Would they feel safer in the 75G or just go ahead and make the switch and put them in the 125G?? The 75G is in a more secluded spot in my living area also. Would you rearrange the filters in any way???

BTW, I tried to post this x3 from my home computer and I kept getting logged off, so it might show up 3 times . I'm trying it from work now.:computer:

Thanks for reading.

Don Trinko
12-17-2007, 06:37 PM
All the tanks you have would be OK except perhaps the 55. ( It would be fine for 5 or 6 fish) I would recoment no other fish in the same tank, at least to start.
It's best to buy all at once from the same source then their ultimate home and QT tank are the same tank. It saves the stress (on you and the fish) of moving them after QT. Don T.

orthofish
12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Thank's Don. The 55G at work is for sure not an option for my discus. Too much traffic and I don't want to leave them by themselves on weekends:( I do plan on getting them from from the same source and all very close to the same size. I think I will start them in the 75G. A more cozy setup.:) and it's a little off the beaten path in my living area.Are the filters o.k. on that tank??? I know everyone likes sponge filters. If I must I will get one, but to be honest, I really think they are UGLY!! I have prefilters on the canisters on the 75G.

2sybs
12-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Sounds to me like more than enough filtration on your 75.
Low traffic is not necessarily a good thing except when they are new to the tank. the more traffic will get them used to people and they can be very sociable.
Ray

Harriett
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I am growing out 9 discus who started at this same size range [2.5-3"] in a 75g and it has worked very well. Do massive water changes every day or at least every other day [75% or more], feed 5-6 x day, keep the filter and prefilter clean: they will grow like crazy and make you sooo happy! You can think about putting them in the 125g later when they are sub adult or adult; IMO it's too big a tank for this size, this # of fish...
Good luck.
Harriett

orthofish
12-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Thank you soooo much Harriett,and all the rest, for the advice. Especially since you are doing what I plan too do Harriett. I feel much better about this now. How big should they be before I move them to the 125G, and about how long will it take, considering normal growth rate?????

I am so excited about this adventure:bounce:

Merry Christmas to me:D:D:D:antlers:

BTW: I have narrowed my search for discus to:Rocky Mountain Discus and Discus Dave because they are both within driving distance. 2.5 hrs. to RMD and 4.5 hrs. to Atlanta.
One other place I am considering is Two Fish Guyz because they carry Stendker discus. Not crazy about not being able to pick them out though and having them shipped.

Any thoughts on which direction I should go. :juggle:

Harriett
12-18-2007, 03:28 PM
My absolute preference is to go pick out my own fish for lots of reasons---I think that's pretty common among us. I'll drive pretty far to do that---I don't know how many times I've gone out to Cary's in Detroit, and tha's 5 hours one way for me. Maybe I'm nuts, I like the adventure--I like the insurance, also.
I plan to keep these new youngsters in the 75g until they are grown out--about a year, or a 6" fish, whatever comes first. I think they have enough room in there to thrive and not so much room they'd burn off calories by racing around endlessly. Also, it's a really convenient spot they are in--the tank is right next to a good sink, I can siphon out poop and replenish water when I feed, and do my 90% every other day water changes easily. I have already sold one of those new guys [color wasn't right and so forth] so now it's 8 in a 75.
When they are grown, I don't really know what I'll do--they could end up staying in there or moving into the 180g planted tank with some other discus....I haven't decided!
Very best luck to you!
Harriett

Eyecandy
12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi Lynn..
Just wanted to give you some feedback... I now have mine (4-5 1/2 in) in a 120.. had 6 in 72 gallon bow and they were fine at this size in either tank. The smaller ones you are thinking of might prefer a smaller tank (the 75) and because I assume you are going to grow them out BB. And water changes water changes water changes... That's gonna be easier in the smaller tank while they are growing out also..Mine were even laying eggs that got to the wriggler/free swimming stage in the 72.. So after they've grown a bit, if you get 9 I would move them to the larger tank. When they get bigger even 6 look like a lot in a 72 gallon. All beautiful and healthy and I purchased them from Discus Dave..

I was there a few weeks ago to purchase my final batch of another 4... in qt55 right now after qt into the 120... but sub/adults... not juvies..

Dave is great and has beautiful fish and very fair prices and he's quite knowledgable... Sometimes he's hard to reach. But keep up with the phone calls as his fish are beautiful. he had quite a few juvies and quite a few varieties when I was there. He has a lot of tanks and a huge fully planted display tank with koi angels mixed with community fish that is to die for...
Good luck with your discus they are wonderful fish.
HTH Sue:angel::angel:

orthofish
12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Thank you all so much for the info. I definately will move mine to the 125 when they are bigger. Will it be o.k. to put some artificial plants in the 75G tank? It won't freak my fish out or anything will it?