PDA

View Full Version : Ok here we go WEEK #1

Jason
12-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

let me start by letting everyone know about the set before the fish arrived.

This is a 3' tank with aprox 50 gals of water, I'm using 2 seeded sponge filters(fishless cycle). You will also notice there are no other fish in the ajoining tanks.

I have also set out a seperate bucket and net. Although I know Al runs a very healthy and clean fishroom, quarantine is still a must.

temp is @88dgF. and I've added a little salt aswell.

btw as Hans pointed out its not 2003, I just don't know how to fix the stoopid camera

Jason
12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
The fish arrived last night. They were a little cold and there was a bit of a line-up at the border. They all came in alive, except I did lose one overnight, but the rest are doing fine now.

I gave them their first meal of frozen bloodworms this morning, they were all cleaned up by the time I got home from work. I siphoned the poop off the bottom and topped the tank back up, about a 20% w/c

They will get 2 more feedings today of mostly bloodworms. I will slowly wean them onto bh mix over the week.

here are some pics, hopefully I will get better with the camera as the weeks pass.

Jason
12-19-2007, 11:23 PM
forgot the pics:o

phidelt85
12-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Lookin' great, Jason!! Sorry to hear you lost one.

Darren's Discus
12-19-2007, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=Jason;428419]The fish arrived last night. They were a little cold ,I gave them their first meal of frozen bloodworms this morning,

Jason,
you should have cooked them a warm breakie to heat up their little bodies ! lol

looking good !

cheers

Discus-Hans
12-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Grow them Jason grow them lol

Hans

BTW it's not stoopid camera it's............ MEN, we don't read manuals because we don't NEED manuals
We just want a camera that gives pictures with the date 2003 women don't understand those little things were we are happy about lol

Hans

Dolphin Dip
12-20-2007, 03:02 AM
i noticed you keep your tank at 88 dgf. what do you keep your average adult discus tank at?

the fish/set up are looking great btw.:)

brewmaster15
12-20-2007, 04:32 AM
Jason,
Glad they made it....with the border issues yours were the ones I was most worried about!
-al

Ps..
Don't worry about weaning them to beef heart;) Those guys will eat you out of cow and home...:)

Jason
12-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Lol Hans,

Dolphin, average adult temp is 82-84dgF.
I'll drop the temp on these guys down too around 86dgF next week.

Al, they would'nt have made it unless they were in great shape and packed well to start with, I was informed that they were in an unheated cube van for quite some time.

Thank-you Al they are very nice fish! I'll try straight BH right now.

mench
12-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Jason,glad they made it ok...they have a sweet golden color....Yep I know the camera thing..and Hans,you are also right about the not reading part,must be a guy thing.

Mench

Kindredspirit
12-20-2007, 09:18 AM
They look great, Jason! I am sure the best is yet to come;)

pinkertd
12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi Jason! Good luck to you and all the challengers!! I was holding my breath to be able to read your posts and find out that you received your babies in good health with the cold and the border delays that might have interfered. Looking forward to all the posts and pictures and also to learning a few things along the way!:D

AADiscus
12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
They look really nice Jason. Looking forward to see more pics of them.

ps....it is a guy thing about manuals, oh don't forget about asking for directions too. lol :D

Ryan
12-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Jason's camera skills have vastly improved. There was a time when he didn't even know how to take/post pictures :D

Good luck with them. I'll be expecting lots of picture updates now that you can operate a camera :p

Discus-Hans
12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
They look really nice Jason. Looking forward to see more pics of them.

ps....it is a guy thing about manuals, oh don't forget about asking for directions too. lol :D

Angela, that's why we men invented GPS lol

Hans

Elcid
12-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Angela, that's why we men invented GPS lol

Hans

Hey Hans:

I didn't realize u were related to Ivan? :)

take care,
Sandeep

Ardan
12-20-2007, 07:32 PM
They look great Jason:):)

Ardan

alxjss
12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Jason. Sorry for the loss. But, on the other hand, the ones left, well, i might have a bit of a challange:D

Dolphin Dip
12-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Jason. Sorry for the loss. But, on the other hand, the ones left, well, i might have a bit of a challange:D

i don't think jason and rod are part of the actual competition, i think their fish are going to be used as a gauge to judge everyone elses' fish by.

although i've been wrong at least once before.

Dolphin, average adult temp is 82-84dgF.
I'll drop the temp on these guys down too around 86dgF next week.

what is the advantage to the temperature adjustments? [sorry, just trying to learn as much as i can]

Kindredspirit
12-21-2007, 08:59 AM
i don't think jason and rod are part of the actual competition, i think their fish are going to be used as a gauge to judge everyone elses' fish by.
]

I think you are correct;)

April
12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
yeah..jason..the pressure is on..they are the gauging guys. rod and jason. well glad you didnt get lost in a blizzard jason or kept at the border . lol.
ryan your right..jasons camera skills were bad..lol. although he did take a very good pic of scooby doo...

2sybs
12-24-2007, 11:27 AM
BTW it's not stoopid camera it's............ MEN, we don't read manuals because we don't NEED manuals
We just want a camera that gives pictures with the date 2003 women don't understand those little things were we are happy about lol

Hans

They come with a manual? I thought that was just extra packing.:p

You only lost one, Sounds like you were lucky considering everything, Jason. They look great now and looking forward to updates.
Ray

Armandi_Fishcarer
02-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Nice looking fish specimens :)

Regards Armandi ;)