PDA

View Full Version : Basic Questions on Basic w/c and tank issue

wbzorker
12-23-2007, 12:30 AM
I've been studying this great amount of detail and am learning tons, but along the way I came to a point where it sure would help to have someone with more experience chime in.

These are the issues I would like to better understand:

1.My first two Discus are being quarantined in a 20H. So far, so good:) They appear to be fully compatable, but I don't yet know at what age the compatabilty problems would normally start. Flame is 3" and Wisp is 2.5". Can they stay in a tank this size for awhile? If they form a pair can they simply stay in this tank to do the breeding?

2.Water Changes- I'm following the 30 % daily rule until I have more info on the variables that would reduce or increase that figure. For example, 1 2.5'' juvie. in a 29g. Would this situation require a reduction in water changes? or 2 3" juvies in a 50g tank. Is 30% daily still appropriate? I read that one reason for the increased water changes is that feedings are increased for juvies, thereby making the water dirtier. So do full Adult discus have reduced feedings with a corresponding reduction in water changes?. I've read that most folks would put 6 to 10 juvies in a 50 to 75g tank. Does the 30% daily situation apply to this situation?

Thank you all for your time- I deeply appreciate the friendly way that you folks are helping us newbies along.

Wendy

majik
12-23-2007, 12:53 AM
hi wendy the two u have would probly like some company they feel secure in larger groups i dont kno if u have others in main tank or not ,but in short yes the tank there in would b fine for breeding tank if they are a pair and while they are growing out as many water changes as you can do the better they will grow fast and good with more w/c providing the fresh water you are using is very close to tank parameters and de clorinated they secrete something that slowes their groth more changes the better but mabe 1 of the experts can explane better than me :)

White Worm
12-23-2007, 03:07 AM
1.My first two Discus are being quarantined in a 20H. So far, so good:) They appear to be fully compatable, but I don't yet know at what age the compatabilty problems would normally start.
They will soon begin the aggression from juvie age into adulthood.

Can they stay in a tank this size for awhile?
It just depends on how they get along. Discus prefer a group of their own kind and do better 5 or more. if these two get along, no reason they cant live in the tank. You never know.

If they form a pair can they simply stay in this tank to do the breeding?
Yes

2.Water Changes- I'm following the 30 % daily rule until I have more info on the variables that would reduce or increase that figure. For example, 1 2.5'' juvie. in a 29g. Would this situation require a reduction in water changes? or 2 3" juvies in a 50g tank. Is 30% daily still appropriate? I read that one reason for the increased water changes is that feedings are increased for juvies, thereby making the water dirtier. So do full Adult discus have reduced feedings with a corresponding reduction in water changes?. I've read that most folks would put 6 to 10 juvies in a 50 to 75g tank. Does the 30% daily situation apply to this situation?

Thank you all for your time- I deeply appreciate the friendly way that you folks are helping us newbies along.

Wendy
Number of feedings, type of food, number of fish, filtration, size of tank, plus many other things will dictate your w/c %.

wbzorker
12-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Number of feedings, type of food, number of fish, filtration, size of tank, plus many other things will dictate your w/c %.

Thanks for your reply:-)

I assume that ammonia, nitrites and nitrates should all read 0, or possibly nitrates at 2 or 3. I'm aging my water to stabilize the ph and match temp. My storage water is treated with Prime due to chlorine and chloramines in the water. I'm feeding three or four small meals a day. Is there anything else that I'm forgetting?

hi wendy the two u have would probly like some company

I think they'll be getting some. ;) There are no discus at the stores around here and I had never actually seen one until I bought these two online. The daily water changes and aging water requirements scared me off for awhile. With just two fish I can find out if I'm really committed or not. If I am, there are other, larger tanks in the house that would end up with discus:-) It's good to hear that they can stay in the 20 for a little while at least.

Thank you both,

majik
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
if ure anything like anyone on here and it sounz like u are by wanting to do the best for your fish,ull b addicted in no time and i actually enjoy the w/c its time that i can interact with my fish and when u luv somin u do woteva it takes to make em happy

merry christmas wendy keep us posted on ur fishes:)

wbzorker
12-24-2007, 03:19 PM
i when u luv somin u do woteva it takes to make em happy
merry christmas wendy keep us posted on ur fishes:)

How right you are. Merry Christmas, majik and a happy New Year.