PDA

View Full Version : question on prime

bearcat
12-23-2007, 11:59 PM
I just started used prime water conditioner 2 days ago from another brand aqual plus, my ammonia reading was o,nitritis o and nitritats 1-2 before and now the the ammonia reading is around 0.2 to 0.5 which could deadly to my fish as my ph is 8.1.
I checked the water in the storage tank were I add the prime to and the ammonia level was the same as in my aquarium water ,when I checked the tap water for ammonia it was 0.
I saw on a webb site that some ammonia kits that use a nessler formula will get incorrect readings on the ammonia in the higher number, the kit I am using is a nutrafin .
Is this correct ?
Please help
Thanks
Rick
P.S. My fish seem to be doing fine ,swimming ,eating and come to the front of the tank at feeding time.

Elite Aquaria
12-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Take a look at the info in this thread...I think it will clear things up for you...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=47692&highlight=ammonia+test+kits

bearcat
12-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Dan
Just couldn't understand what was going on and needed it confirmed,so my take on this is I am o.k but should get a salicylate base kit and the nessler kit gives the false reading when used with prime.
Thanks so............. much
Rick:

Graham
12-24-2007, 01:34 PM
The Nessler style kits will give a false reading when anykind of an ammonia binding product is used. An O2 test kist will also read wrong with binders.

G :santa:

bearcat
12-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Hello: Graham
Nice to see another Maritimer on the simply discus ,I was born and raised in Halifax and now live in Fredericton N.B.
Anyway, what test kit do you think I should use to test for amm since I am using prime,your suggestion please.

Thanks
Rick