PDA

View Full Version : Adding Discus to Aquarium After Angelfish Gone

Bucketeer
12-25-2007, 01:44 AM
I have a 55 gallon aquarium that healthy angelfish came out of today. It's bare bottom with potted sword plants and crypts.

How long should I wait until it is safe to introduce Discus to this tank? Should I raise the temp to kill parasite larva if they happen to be present? I plan on adding ammonia in the interim to keep the filters cycled.

Thanks,

Bill

phidelt85
12-25-2007, 01:53 AM
How long between now and when you get discus? If you plan on feeding the filters ammonia to keep cycled. I would PP the tank to kill off any parasites in the tank. Then, recycle the tank with ammonia.

Bucketeer
12-25-2007, 03:12 AM
How long between now and when you get discus? If you plan on feeding the filters ammonia to keep cycled. I would PP the tank to kill off any parasites in the tank. Then, recycle the tank with ammonia.

I plan on introducing the new fish in about a month. Is "PP" Prazi Pro?

Thanks,

Bill

phidelt85
12-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Potassium Permanganate at a 2mg/L dosage. Like I said this will most likely knock out your biofilter, so I would begin this process rather quickly and consider using a biofilter starter.

Bucketeer
12-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Potassium Permanganate at a 2mg/L dosage. Like I said this will most likely knock out your biofilter, so I would begin this process rather quickly and consider using a biofilter starter.

Will it harm the plants?

Thanks,

Bill

RyanH
12-25-2007, 12:45 PM

I agree, this is the way to go.

Your plants should be fine at that dosage.

Bucketeer
12-25-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree, this is the way to go.

Your plants should be fine at that dosage.

Thanks!

RyanH
12-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I'd treat the tank for 2-4 hours. Neutralize the pp with hydrogen peroxide. Then change all of your water. Get your biofilter going again with liquid biospira or something similar. If you're not planning to add fish right away, add a very small amount of pure ammonia (no flavors or colors) to get your nitrifying bacteria established.

phidelt85
12-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I have found my Ammonia at Ace Hardware Stores. It's labeled Janitorial strength ammonia. You will see that the only ingredient is 10% ammonium hydroxide.

Bucketeer
12-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks Ryan and Jose. Hopefully I can find some Potassium Permanganate. I have the clear ammonia and peroxide.

Bill

RyanH
12-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks Ryan and Jose. Hopefully I can find some Potassium Permanganate. I have the clear ammonia and peroxide.

Bill

Check Sears.

Bucketeer
12-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Check Sears.

Will do.

Thanks,

Bill

Apistomaster
12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Minor chemical differences like those that have been discused here do not place any undo stress on discus moved between tanks. The greatest hazard comes from damage done to them when they panic during the capture and that applies mainly to the larger fish.
Catching them from bare tanks is unproblematic but catching them from planted tanks with wood or rocks is a different matter. It is best to remove all rocks and wood from a planted tank before you try to remove them.

Bucketeer
12-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Minor chemical differences like those that have been discused here do not place any undo stress on discus moved between tanks. The greatest hazard comes from damage done to them when they panic during the capture and that applies mainly to the larger fish.
Catching them from bare tanks is unproblematic but catching them from planted tanks with wood or rocks is a different matter. It is best to remove all rocks and wood from a planted tank before you try to remove them.

Hi Larry,

My original question was about introducing Discus to a bare bottom tank with potted plants that previously had Angelfish in it. I'm concerned about the possibilty of exposing the Discus to pathogens that are tolerated/carried by Angelfish, but not Discus. The Angelfish are healthy for the most part. They've had cloudy-eye on occasion, but that's it. I just don't know what's "lurking" in the tank now.

One option that is not totally desireable to me would be to remove the plants, tear down the tank and filters, and sterilize everything. I really like the plants though and don't want to go there.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks,

Bill

Apistomaster
12-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Well, maybe I'm somewhat cavalier about my Discus but I do not worry much about moving Discus as needed or wanted. I would not be that concerned about your angels leaving behind the kiss of death where they have been healthy.

Many are more conservative than me but that is my opinion. I would simply put them where you want them. Healthy Discus do not come down with diseases easily and you really have no indication that the proposed angel tank is unhealthy from what I can tell.

I must have missed your original question and I just dispense advice like removing obstacles that panicked discus might crash into as a matter of routine. I still always dread having to move my adults. They never fail to get some scrapes but they heal quickly.

I sometimes use bleach and water to clean out a tank but not so much for sterilization but it makes the job easier and it is usually because I am trying to rid myself of the snails and their eggs. I rarely do more than a hot water rinse of rocks and wood unless again, I am on a snail eradication binge.

Bucketeer
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, maybe I'm somewhat cavalier about my Discus but I do not worry much about moving Discus as needed or wanted. I would not be that concerned about your angels leaving behind the kiss of death where they have been healthy.

Many are more conservative than me but that is my opinion. I would simply put them where you want them. Healthy Discus do not come down with diseases easily and you really have no indication that the proposed angel tank is unhealthy from what I can tell.

I must have missed your original question and I just dispense advice like removing obstacles that panicked discus might crash into as a matter of routine. I still always dread having to move my adults. They never fail to get some scrapes but they heal quickly.

I sometimes use bleach and water to clean out a tank but not so much for sterilization but it makes the job easier and it is usually because I am trying to rid myself of the snails and their eggs. I rarely do more than a hot water rinse of rocks and wood unless again, I am on a snail eradication binge.

Thanks Larry:)

The Angels are healthy and were treated with prazi-pro before they were moved.

Thanks again,

Bill