PDA

View Full Version : Marineland Magnum 350 Pro

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
What do you guys and gals think of this filter. I've been thinking of adding a canister to my 125 or a couple HOBs. I like the fact that on this pro model the outflow goes into a biowheel housing. I've never used the magnum 350. How easy is the maintainence and efficiency of this filter. I'm kinda limited on the choices as I have a $200 Petco gift card and their choices are limited. Unless someone wants to buy my gift card ;)

tcyiu
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I have an old 350 which I use for polishing. I received it used, so I cannot vouch for the use/abuse under the hands of the former owner. This might be a good gauge as to how the filter will hold up after time.

As a water polisher, I have found that the micron filter does not do a great job. It certainly removes large particles, but small ones seem to not be affected. I recently bought and used a diatomaceous earth replacement (called Fiber Clear). When used with the micron filter, it was awesome. The water is crystal clear.

The flow rate on the 350 is very good. I especially like the cannister lock which also serves as an on/off switch. This makes it easy to shut off the filter when moving things around (versus yanking on the power cord. The removable cannister is also a great design element.

I would not consider using it on a full time basis as a cannistoer filter because of the noise factor. It appears that the plastic cap (bearing?) holding the impeller is quite loose and therefore it rattles when spinning around. I spent $15 and bought a brand new impeller. Guess what. Exact same noise level as the really chewed up old impeller. Oh well.

One last thing I don't like is that it takes me a few tries before the top is water tight. My old Eheim 2213 is much better in this department. Perhaps the o-ring is a bit old and should be replaced.

Those are a few of my direct experiences with a used 350. Your mileage may vary.

Tim

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks Tim for the quick reply. I can't have a noisy filter as this is in my living room; this is one of the other reasons I scrapped the sump and went with sponges. I do plan on running it full time in conjunction with my sponge filters so I do want something that is quiet, efficient, and long-lasting.

Thanks again for the input. I wish they carried Fluval, I love the 305 I have on my 55.

DiscusKeeper
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Jose,

I'd look hard at an EHEIM. Petco carries them and they cant be beat for service life and are real quite too.

Mark

Thanks Tim for the quick reply. I can't have a noisy filter as this is in my living room; this is one of the other reasons I scrapped the sump and went with sponges. I do plan on running it full time in conjunction with my sponge filters so I do want something that is quiet, efficient, and long-lasting.

Thanks again for the input. I wish they carried Fluval, I love the 305 I have on my 55.

Ed Hengel
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Jose,

I'd look hard at an EHEIM. Petco carries them and they cant be beat for service life and are real quite too.

Mark

I agree. The Eheim is the better choice between the two. I use the 350 strictly for clearing up the water, the flow rate is indeed ample but it seems that no matter what attachments you use, the 350 clogs very quickly. And it does get noisy as it ages. If you are looking for a cheep way to clarify water the HOT Magnum, with the paper filter, does the job. For what its worth, a friend of mine swears by the new Fluvals. (the old ones were a bear)

Ed

tcyiu
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree. The Eheim is the better choice between the two.

I too love my Eheim 2213. I used it for about 5 years, and then it sat in the garage for about 15 years. When I got into the hobby again, I pulled it out and guess what, it started right up. It is still silent as the day I bought it.

BUT ... I was told by another Eheim fan (owner of a LFS in my neighborhood), that the new ones are not the same. She hoards old units whenever she comes across one. But she won't touch the new ones.

I do not know if there is an ounce of truth to any of this and would love to hear other inputs.

Tim

aquagal
01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
You can use your Petco gift card online also I believe...the selection there is much greater than in the store (my store anyways).

I love the Eheim ECCO...super easy to maintain. I also love the Rena Filstar. It has so many different media types that you can layer in the stackable baskets and it comes with a spray bar to diffuse the water return.

I don't love the Marineland products. I think they're noisy and I don't think the biowheel is as effective as other products.

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! I didn't see Rena's on their website. I'll have to take another looksie! :D I really didn't want to get the Mag350. I have a Marineland HOB that is a bear to keep running at times. So based on your recs, I'll shy away from it. Now, I saw the Eheim classics are these the 2213s you all speak of?

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
OK, I think I'm gonna go with the Rena xP3. Pros/cons anyone?

DiscusKeeper
01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Jose,

I own two, they are fairly solid, they can have trapped air issues if you don't keep the o-rings well lubed. Mine are fairly quite too. I wouldn't call them an equal to the Ehiem. Yes, the 2213 is the model line I was thinking of.

Mark

OK, I think I'm gonna go with the Rena xP3. Pros/cons anyone?

aquagal
01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I think the Rena's are good, I have not had the trapped air issue w/ mine and I do think it's pretty quiet. Most importantly, it really seems to do a good job filtering.

I don't have the classic Eheim, but the Eheim ECCO (2234) and I like it as well. It's easy to prime, easy to clean and fairly quiet.

If I had to buy another, I'd go w/ the Rena XP3.

Harriett
02-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I have been using some Cascade canister filters by Penn Plax for about a year and a half or better on my three 75s and the 80g--I have 3 of the 1000 model and a 1200 . I broke the lever on an Eheim 2026 and the first Cascade was a quick buy intended as an emergency fix until I ordered/recieved the parts to fix the Eheim. Once they came, I never put the Eheim back on the tank. THe Cascade works so well, is so quiet, the motors feel more powerful to me, I really like them. Very simple set ups to put together and operate as well. Cleaning is a snap. I know lots of folks like the Rena canisters and they have good reliability as well. My son is in the biz and I have been able to buy the Cascade filters for a real nice price, so that doesn't hurt either--but I would still use them if I had to pay full price. Never heard anyone mention this filter so I thought I'd throw it into the mix. I have used several Ehiem models and frankly, I have NOT found them to be so user friendly and I won't buy another. I don't think they are the breed standard anymore. Mine are sitting on a shelf on the porch.
Harriett