PDA

View Full Version : A 125G low tech journal

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 12:44 AM
I would like to share with everyone the 125G tank I got from my wife for Christmas. It has been in the planning stages for the last few months, but I was pretty floored when she handed me the cash an said go get it!!! :)

Here are a couple pics of the equipment. Two XP3's with 2 external 300W in line Hydor heaters.

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 12:52 AM
The soil master select (red) an a beautiful piece of driftwood Al (brewmaster15) gave me.

The last pic is a good friend of mine Buck who helped me with the setup. He is a mod over on "TPT"

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Steve (Scolly) gave me some great technical advice. Had to add shims to level everything out. Then it was just the basic planting an anubia tying. Also added the manzanita branches

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Steve (Scolly) sent me just a massive amount of moss...Of course that got tied onto the manzanita branches.

After the plant I added Al's (brewmaster15) 6 Angels an a Scalare to the tank with the rest of the fish. 4 clown loaches, 8 rummy noses, 8 congo tetras...

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Then added the Discus...:)

tc
Mark

Darrell Ward
01-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Looks nice. I would consider adding some glass tops for a bit of insurance. Nothing worse than having a fish get spooked and hitting the floor. :D

phidelt85
01-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Looking great, Mark!! I hope one day to be able to go back to a substrated planted tank in my 125. Please keep us updated on your progress as your tank begins to establish itself. I'm subscribed.

I used to have SMS charcoal in mine, I found it to be very light and easily disturbed by plecos, cories, spooked discus. :) Good luck with it.

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Looks nice. I would consider adding some glass tops for a bit of insurance. Nothing worse than having a fish get spooked and hitting the floor. :D

Hey Darrell... I have the All glass tops ready to spring into action if they get to energetic!...:)

Looking great, Mark!! I hope one day to be able to go back to a substrated planted tank in my 125. Please keep us updated on your progress as your tank begins to establish itself. I'm subscribed.

Thanks for the kind words my friend! Though an update might be a few months down the road as slow as this tank is gonna grow! :)

I used to have SMS charcoal in mine, I found it to be very light and easily disturbed by plecos, cories, spooked discus. Good luck with it.

Yes it is light~~ I guess there aint gonna be any anaerobic pockets in it anytime soon...;) :D

tc
Mark

phidelt85
01-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Hey, Mark, what was your reasoning behind two xP3s? I just want to know; I have one on order for my 125.

pcsb23
01-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Looks good Mark, I too will enjoy following this :)

btw i hope you have more luck with the xp3's than I have, hate the damned thing....when I can afford a new eheim it's history!

phidelt85
01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Looks good Mark, I too will enjoy following this :)

btw i hope you have more luck with the xp3's than I have, hate the damned thing....when I can afford a new eheim it's history!

Sheesh, thanks Paul! :( I just ordered one for myself yesterday. What don't you like about it?

pcsb23
01-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Sheesh, thanks Paul! :( I just ordered one for myself yesterday. What don't you like about it?
Sorry Jose:o, I know lots of people who rate them, I don't.

Mine has leaked twice, the impeller is cruddy, the flow is poor given the alleged power, the media handling is ordinary imo. The no leak quick release doesn't, as in half a cup of water goes everywhere each time, the plastic clips that hold the head on break too!! In the UK they are far too expensive, around £130 to £150 to buy without media!!. I can get an eheim 2217 classic with media for £68 and an eheim 2028 pro II with media for £140 - no contest!

I expect lots of people will now post how good their xp3's are, each to their own :D

brewmaster15
01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Mark,
Its all looking very good my friend...very good indeed..should you ever tire of those Turqs..... be sure to let me know... You've done real well with them!!!:)

Looking forward to seeing you this week.;)

Take care,

al

senso
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Mark

Looks great. You have been busy. In little over two week you seem to have got the entire system up and running and fully stocked. Looks like it has been there for months.

Enjoy

Rossano

GrillMaster
01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey, Mark, what was your reasoning behind two xP3s? I just want to know; I have one on order for my 125.

Jose...I had one running on my 75G for 2 years and I absolutely love it. Best canister filter money can by IMO! A big garbage can with filter media in it.

When I decided on the 125G I just bought another brand new one ebay for $108. I believe it is the perfect set up for a planted 125G!

The 300W Hydors plumbed right in so easy. No clamps no nuthin!! I also think the Hydors are awsome heaters! The temp has not moved from 83 deg since I hooked em up. I think I am gonna kick it up to 84 though.

Mine has leaked twice, the impeller is cruddy, the flow is poor given the alleged power, the media handling is ordinary imo. The no leak quick release doesn't, as in half a cup of water goes everywhere each time, the plastic clips that hold the head on break too!! In the UK they are far too expensive, around £130 to £150 to buy without media!!. I can get an eheim 2217 classic with media for £68 and an eheim 2028 pro II with media for £140 - no contest!

I expect lots of people will now post how good their xp3's are, each to their own :D

WOW.... :shocked2: :shocked2: What a price difference Paul!! Thats like $225. No wonder you like eheims so much.

As I mentioned before, its $108 an includes all the media. I have never had any problems with mine what so ever(knock on wood). I wont ever own another filter for a planted tank anyways! :D :D

Mark,
Its all looking very good my friend...very good indeed..should you ever tire of those Turqs..... be sure to let me know... You've done real well with them!!!

Looking forward to seeing you this week.

Thank you very much sir!! I had a pretty good teacher along the way! :)

I'll be bringin alot of goodies for ya when I come my freind!! :D :D

Mark

Looks great. You have been busy. In little over two week you seem to have got the entire system up and running and fully stocked. Looks like it has been there for months.

Enjoy

Thank you for the kind words Rossano!

Thats nothing!!! Kenny set up a whole fish room in his garage an stocked it in the same amount of time!! :shocked2: :D :D

tc
Mark

GrillMaster
01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Heres a couple of better pics of the tank...:)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/basstalker/1croped.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/basstalker/crop4-1.jpg

tc
Mark

aquagal
01-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Nice tank! What substrate did you use?

pcsb23
01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Looking good Mark :D

Ardan
01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Looks good, Mark:):)

Ardan

Eyecandy
01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi... As usuual... the tank and fish are absolutely beautiful ;):
How many and how big are the discus and the angels... Although this is a relatively new setup...How does the combo work for you???
We're stll debating a few angels to the discus tank we have..
Thanks for any info and for sharing this fantastic tank with us. Sue

GrillMaster
01-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice tank! What substrate did you use?

Soil Master Select. :)

Paul an Ardan...Thanks for the kind words again my friends! :) :)

Sue, Thank you very much!! There are six Silvers an 1 Scalare in there that Al gave me. The Discus are Blue turks and range from 6.5" -4.5". Two of them are runts. :D

I am not to sure of the combo at the moment. The first few days the Discus were doing great but now They are pretty much reclusive during the day when the angels are active. The roles reverse at night though...The angels stop an the Discus just run all over the tank like they own the place. I just found this out last night actually cause I couldn't sleep. Wound up turnin the tv on an watched em with the tv light for a long time. Soon as the angels start gettin active in the morning, the discus would go back to their respective places behind the plants in the back right hand corner.

I dont believe the angels have anything to do with them hiding out during the day. Its in a high traffic area and they haven't been in the tank very long. Although they grew nice, they have always been pretty skiddish. I guess I have lots of vibrations in the house or something I dunno. :crazy:

They definately are not skiddish at night cause I walked directly past the tank numerous times last night an they didn't mind at all. I will give it another week or so an see what happens. If they dont settle down during the day, I will pull them out. I dont think pulling the angels out will make any difference. I could be wrong though...

Any suggestions anyone??

tc
Mark

phidelt85
01-06-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't have a whole lot of suggestions, Mark. I experienced the same thing when my 125 was planted they prefered to hide out than be up front. Give 'em a place to hide and they'll take you up on the offer. :D I just wanted to say that it looks really nice; those pieces of driftwood are topnotch in my book. :D

GrillMaster
01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Jose...Thank you my friend! :)

I shoved em around a little yesterday and they stayed out in the open area for a couple of hours! There might be a little to much activity during the day as far as the other fish go. The congo tetras are lunatics during the day zipping around all over the place...If you see blurs in any of the pics, its them. :D

I think I can get em to come around. If I have to take a few other fish out I will.

This is what these boneheads do at night! This was taken last night. :inquisitive:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/basstalker/1d.jpg

tc
Mark

Darrell Ward
01-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe the Congos make the Discus nervous with all the "zipping around"?