PDA

View Full Version : 5th January Update

two utes
01-05-2008, 04:48 AM
5th of January 2008.
Two weeks and one day have passed, and these fish have taken over my life. I went away with the family for a couple of days to the beach, and the little fellows where always on my mind. I had no one to care for them while l was away, and opted to do a 50% water change the night before with a complete wipe down of all the interior, and also cleaned both sponges in their own water that l collected during the water change. I was really happy to see them after my short trip, and they greeted me as usual at the surface for a well overdue feed.
I think thay have grown a bit, and can't wait to re-measure the largest one in a couple more weeks. Check out the home made tool l use to clean the tank out. And the fish too of coarse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhGfn437kMY

two utes
01-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Also, today l did the rounds of the local aquariums, and was pleased to find some good looking 'Live Brine Shrimp', and purchased four days supply for the little fellows. I also purchased a container of 'New Life Spectrum Discus Formula Pellets' which they seem to like.
I've attached another short video clip this time of them feeding on live brine shrimp. l am sure that this is the best way to view them.
I notice their appetites have grown, and l am feeding them many times per day in small doses.
PH is still at 7.4, and l also checked nitrate today, and got a reading of 5ppm.
I am having so much fun with this.:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Zcw8Kv_q4

Kindredspirit
01-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice, Joe! Great presentation as well.:) They are looking really good! And yes....they will take over your life ~ but in a good way!:D

BSW
01-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Looks like "NO PROBLEMS" there !
Glad they are doing so well for you -
Keep up the great work.
B

alxjss
01-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Joe... Nice fish. How did u do that cleaning thing? Looks good to me. I no how u feel about taking over ur life. I am the sam. I rush home from work just to see them and feed. I don't feed when i am @ work, i mean no autofeeder.
Isn't this exciting! Updates and all. Looking real good. Keep it up bud;)

Elite Aquaria
01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Joe,

Glad all issues have been resolved...The fish are looking great...keep up the good work.

AADiscus
01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm glas they did good for you on your little trip. They are looking good.

brewmaster15
01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Joe,

Looks like they are bulking up for you good!:) Keep feeding and WC's and You should get some nice ones there!

-al

pcsb23
01-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Some nice looking fish there Joe, keep em well fed and in clean water and they will do well.

two utes
01-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Thank you all for your encoureging comments.:D:D:D
Eileen, you can read more about the modified 'palm dish cleaner' in a thread Tonymaccs started. You will see the one he came up with, self priming reservoir and all, to save you from swallowing tank water when syphoning. I think we have all done that at least once.:o
I'm with you on rushing home to see my new buddies.;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=61037

barramundi
01-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Looking good Joe, keep it up and i like the tank cleaner thingy.

John

phidelt85
01-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Lookin' great, Joe!! I followed that thread and was quite impressed by both designs. Hope to be building myself one soon! :D

tonymaccs
01-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi Joe,
It's great to see them doing so well, and that you are having such a great time sharing.
It's interesting to note the difference in colour to mine. Yours are so much lighter. The difference with mine is the dark tinted tank base which they think they have to imitate. Otherwise they are similarly behaved and very active now.
You're doing a great job with them Joe and it's always hard to leave them without food when you go away. I will probably go to China for a week or two this month or Feb and I know I will be worrying about mine often.
Tony

renae
01-06-2008, 04:43 AM
They are looking great Joe, your doing so well with them. I think tony is on to a good thing with that cleaner, look forward to your next update.
Renae.

Ardan
01-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Looking good Joe:):)

Ardan

Darren's Discus
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Joe,
mate they are looking real good,great video,keep up the good work and keep those bellies full !

cheers

GrillMaster
01-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Lookin good there down under!!

Love that vac brush!! :)

tc
Mark