PDA

View Full Version : adding a filter

alan j t
01-10-2008, 03:46 AM
im looking for some advise here
i currently have a magnum filter running my 55gl discus tank
and i was thinking of adding another filter for insurance in case one of them failed

i thought about buying a filter that hangs on the back of the tank
and putting just ceramic rings
is that ok or do i need to add some kind of sponge,filterfloss or what not
if i do buy one should it be one thats made to handle 55gls
or can i get away with a smaller one
and also which filter do you recommend for my idea(if its a good one)
sorry so long:o

majik
01-10-2008, 03:56 AM
hi there i dont kno if its correct or not but i run my 1200l/h canister also 2 sponge fry filters and have a wee dinky filter running all the time in my 125g if i need to set up hospital tank or wot not i have cycled sponge and dinky wee one to throw in instant cycled tank:)

tcyiu
01-14-2008, 09:07 PM
im looking for some advise here
i currently have a magnum filter running my 55gl discus tank
and i was thinking of adding another filter for insurance in case one of them failed

i thought about buying a filter that hangs on the back of the tank
and putting just ceramic rings
is that ok or do i need to add some kind of sponge,filterfloss or what not
if i do buy one should it be one thats made to handle 55gls
or can i get away with a smaller one
and also which filter do you recommend for my idea(if its a good one)
sorry so long:o

Here's an idea: Perhaps you might get a small/cheap filter and have it lying around just in case. Be sure that in your Magnum, there is seeded media that you can just transplant over to the backup filter if you need to. (a loose back of bio media or a wad of floss). Then if the main one fails, you can quickly bring the backup into play by moving the media over to the backup and plugging it in.

That's assuming that you're not away from the aquarium for prolonged periods, and assuming you can quickly procure a replacement for the main filter. What I'm suggesting is a backup system that is similar to the really skinny spare tires that modern cars come with. Something that will tide you over until you can get a real replacement.

Tim